CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

please list any/all problems on your 04/05

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please list any/all problems on your 04/05

Old 09-05-2005, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

chrio, my issues were not little 100 dollar issues...my total invoice for one bomb parts order was over 1k...

It seems to be running fine now and thats why I decided to keep it. (Have a lectron 46 on the way too)

Old 09-06-2005, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

Oil press switch , warranty covered it , fitted the new one with an elbow and sprayed it with electrical protection spray no probs since
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>

Ditto.....and keep your battery fully charged. The oil pressure switch problem is usually from getting it wet, it's been fixed on the 05's and newer.

Old 09-06-2005, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

I originally went thru 2 yuasas (biggest pieces of crap EVER) and paid 90 bucks for each replacement (only because thats what my dealer charged, and of course it died right before trips). Ever since I got he pc545 for like 65 bucks I havnt had a single problem since.

Old 09-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

Bought the first 04 DSX in the area in fall of 03 for 6900 otd in central Iowa. Went through oil pres. switch which dealer replaced under warranty. No other problems except for the things broken by me. Headlight and seatlatch from rollover. Pretty impressed thats all I broke when it went over.

Old 09-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

I still have had no problems out of mine. Other than short life on stock clutches, I would have to blame that on hpr, for providing too much hp.
Justin

Old 09-06-2005, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

clutch went out, piston fried, water temp switch went out, baja x graphics on seat go to crap in about a year, crossbar on stock bars breaks, nerf bar supports for frame breaks, back tailight doesnt last 1 ride with stock bulbs.

Old 09-07-2005, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider

12 months old now and 85hrs on clock. Only a few small problems here, battery replaced when 4 weeks old and no worries since. Axle bearing recall and only a small thing I noticed the other day, behind battery on the frame is a small soleniod thing with plastic covers over the electrical connectors that were full of water. The terminals were all corroded so I cleaned them up and left the covers off and sprayed electrical sealer on them. Also 1 headlight globe !!!

Old 09-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

Hi there R00ST,
I have a newer 04 DS-BajaX (Yellow & Black) so I got all the stock dealer goodies. I got it from Alba Action Sports down here in Poway San Diego. Paid ... 6,900.00 OTD Ya, Ya, I know that's about 1K over other dealers but it came with an freeer flowing after market open ended "Alba Exhauset" (later found out they were Junk) and K&N filters but they also threw in a few goodies like helmet, pants, gloves and goggles to help get me going.
Much like other folks the only real problems I have had with my DS were self inflicted when I flipped the bike over on my first real ride but she took a licken and kept on Roosten with a few scratches but no mechanical damage.

You will hear many stories about how much of a beating the DS can take. You don't plan on it but it happens.

The stock rear tire got a side wall blow out also on my first Ride ! They were 2ply and totally sucked. Ruined my first trip out. I also got a pin hole leak in my radiator some time later but got it replaced for like 95.00 off e-bay.
The only real WTF I ever had with my DS was the rear motor skid plate bolts in that they were completely missing the plate was just kind of banging around but I think this was a factory OOPS, two zip ties when out in the field fixed it right up real good. I got the bolts replaced for free from Alba.
I think I ride my bike about as hard as anyone. As when most folks take a breake in the dunes I keep on riding. I am useually the guy going out of his way to find that virgin sand and tear it up while doing donuts and figure eights while others are off resting drinking some beers. So I tend to run out of gas faster than most folks.
So far I have the following MODS done to her. I proabbly will not break into the motor till she needs a rebuild but want the most performance I can get till then. Not to mention I just plain ran out of money.....
Its taken me about a year but I finally got the Springs / shocks setup properly for my weight ... I am 5'7" 200lbs and she is sweet. You can't just through the DS around but then again she is vary stable at WOT cruzeing in 5th gear going across the top of a bowl ! The exact reason why I bought the Dune Sport Quad !Not for Drag Racing, or Mudding ... for DUNING ! and the bike performs exactly like its suppose to. FLAWLESSLY !!! Strong Power, smooth suspension, and a stable ride. I GOT MY MONEY'S WORTH ! and would do it again.
So my MOD are ...

55w after market head lights & 55w baja running lights which work real NICE : - )
Blue LED rear break light. (Illegal but you have to catch me first!)
Alumnum Radiator Shrowds & Inline cooler
ODP High Output Water Pump Just to help keep things cool.....on the way.
ODP Bar and Clamp.
Alba Yellow and Black flame shock covers
Six Pack cooler Rack for da beers.
Armidillo front bumper (for better flow) I just did not like the stocker.
New Laker Rear plastic fenders....on the way
AC Rear Skid Plate
Billet Front Chain Cover, Gas cap & Break resivor cover.
Full Ron Woods Exhaust
Ported Intake & TM45 Carb
Procomm CDI ( I am Keeping a close eye on it)
Yellow Webbing on the Nerf bars.
22" Extreme Haulers & Sand Stars for SandDunes
22" 4ply HoleShot MX some thing or nother for trails and regular desert trips.
60% stiffer clutch springs
Diamond Plate Battery Box.
and
Happyness knowing you can take on any dune and look good doing it : - )

See Ya in the Sand....