CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Is it just my quad or are those YFZ's FAST?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just my quad or are those YFZ's FAST?!

My wife rides a "Bone Stock" yfz. Because she weighs considerably less than I. If she were to get through the whoops cleanly. SHe would pound me up the hills.

Now same bike with my brother-in-law at the helm and it is a lot closer race. He is still lighter than me but only by 35 lbs.

maybe some day I'll actually be able to afford to make my bike fast.

Old 08-29-2004, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

i don't think they're really that fast, stock for stock on flat ground a ds wins as we've tested this with my bro buddies family, one has a yfz and the other has a ds, but wen he had the 22"vampires on the ds the yfz would get out ahead until third than the ds has to play catch up, we haven't raced them lately because it had an accident with a van and they're gettin it back together and getting all the bugs worked out(axle may be bent)

Old 08-29-2004, 11:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider

you haven't been seeing the right ones then, trust me there out there.

Old 08-29-2004, 11:59 PM
Trailblazer

It is just that yamaha is better than those slow a$$ bombardiers.

Old 08-30-2004, 12:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

If you guys think piped yfz's run, then wait until you line up w/ a Lightened mad racing YFZ 470 w/ tripple buffs all the way around piloted by a very, very good 130lb rider...

Old 08-30-2004, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider

With equal mods the 450R's are right along side the YFZ's..... Most guys with piped and jetted YFZ's won't tell you that they also have the cam mod done.... there is a difference, the cam mod alone is worth a quad and a half length at least.

Old 08-30-2004, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

My 14 year old kid with his piped and jetted YFZ beats my piped and jetted DS650 any way we care to drag race them. It doesn't matter if its hillshooting in the dunes, on the flat in the sand, or on a flat dirt or paved road. Me (240 lbs) riding my DS cant touch the kid (140 lbs) on his YFZ. I have pretty much given up even trying, because I haven't won yet. If its a drag race I just plan on him being out front, but when it comes to very high speed cross country riding in the desert, the old man and his DS can still badly outrun the kid and his new fangled Yamaha [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-30-2004, 01:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Outerlimit, sounds like your house is situated just like mine except, The yfz that beats me is stock and belongs to a chic. everything else is the same. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 08-30-2004, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

but when it comes to very high speed cross country riding in the desert, the old man and his DS can still badly outrun the kid and his new fangled Yamaha
>>>>>>>>

I think the trade off is weight/comfort/suspension when comparing the Yamaha and DS. I prefer the size of the DS even though its heavier then the others and the ride seems more comfortable. The DS is supposed to have the best stock suspension amongst the sport models, so I think thats also a big plus. My biggest objectives are to be comfortable and have enough power that I don't feel I need more.

Old 08-30-2004, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

I think yamaha getting the yfz to run good at 11.9:1 compression on pump gas was clutch to getting the 450 to scream.

Also, for those of us who don't clear tabletops every day, the front shocks should of had more adjustment.

jbt

Quick Reply: Is it just my quad or are those YFZ's FAST?!