CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

1st dune experience...the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2000, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those dunes can be tricky, I ride at Siver Lake often and have had experiences similar to your accident. If you go on a windy day, the sand at the peak of the dunes is constantly changing shape. Sometimes you will be surprised by what you find just as you clear the peak of the dune.

I haven't seen many DS650's there, maybe four total - but I normally go on weekdays to avoid the big crowds of the weekends. This Labor Day weekend will be insanely busy, but I may go anyways. I'd like to see the new Raptor out there.

Old 09-01-2000, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

everyone is Full of BS ok no matter what they ride. im sure this guy on this Banshee/600cc rocket just sucked at riding it. cause there is now ways your ds would beat it. He must been afriad.

Old 09-01-2000, 02:52 PM
Trailblazer

The worst time to ride in the sand is when the suns is straight over head. You have no shadows to help see the drop offs. Really don't make much difference on the steep hills when you get to the top though.

Old 09-03-2000, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

I think Kawasakikids story is true.I had a ds and used to beat piped banshees all day long.Now I have a 400ex and get spanked by 250rs.Notice he didnt say he beat everything out in the dunes.I cant wait to see the shoot out in the mags with the 400ex,rapter,banshee.Im thinking the rapter will take all,But im hoping the rumors are true about the honda 650EX.

Old 09-04-2000, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

I'd have to say that the worst time of day to ride dunes in Pismo is around 6 PM or so. The sun blinds you as you head west, up the steep side of the dune. Then as you're climbing, its nice and shady, then you get to the top and cant see where you're going because the sun is right in your face again.

Old 09-04-2000, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

Gary,

There really isn't a spot at Silver Lake to hillshoot. As I found out, the major reason NOT to do it, is the extreme decline after the peaks. They do however hold an annual hill climb. They climb the side of the exit hill (approx 250ft) @ 50 or 60 degree incline. I was told the record of 1.9 sec still holds from a vw dune buggy with nitrous.

Old 09-04-2000, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

Bill,

I understand where you're coming from. However I am not exaggerating. I was probably more surprised than you when I kept winning. BTW, I'd love to do a dune get-together whenever you're in that area.

P.S.
I DO have a few runs on tape and plan to post them as soon as I can convert them.

Old 09-04-2000, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

Twinshot,

Actually my accident happened on the hill prior to "Test" hill. I later found out I wasn't alone. There were two roll over accidents earlier that day on the same hill.

Avoca is near Port Huron, about an hour from Warren.

I was just as surprised in the drags. I don't know, it could have been a fluke, but I wasn't beat that often and have the tape to prove it.

Gimmie some healing time, name the place and time and we'll go riding.

Old 09-04-2000, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

SandmanBlue,

Actually your post would describe "delusional". I'm not going to spend the time to beat you up or flame your response, because I'm a better person than that, unlike you.

But for your information I do have the drags on tape and plan on posting them soon.

Yes, the boots I use for riding do have laces, is that such a concept you cannot fathum?

BTW, it's normal to have DS envy.

Have a nice day in your false reality, Napoleon!

Old 09-06-2000, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

Kid, your story is bull!!! I have on a single occassion raced a DS and it beat my stock Banshee by a few quad lengths in a 300 yard race but it got beat by most of the piped Banshees at the same time. I spend enough time racing up sand hills to know 2 things: 1) Banshees are winning 95% of the races out there. Only the the most exotic/custom rides will beat a reasonably modified Banshee. 2) For some strange reason, it's very rare to see a DS drag racing. Why is that??? I agree the DS is fast and quicker than a Banshee stock for stock but please, you beat all these modified rides on your stock DS???!!!

Quick Reply: 1st dune experience...the good, the bad, and the ugly.