CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

1st dune experience...the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2000, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this last weekend a few friends and I went to Silver Hills Sand Dunes on the west side of Michigan, near lake Michigan. We had an excellent time, some of the hills were very steep and most everyone there was very nice.

I lost count of the people that challenged me on my DS to drag race. I was constantly being flagged down and everyone wanted a piece of the “Big Boy” DS. I raced modified 400ex’s, Banshee’s, 250 / 350x three and four wheelers, Tri-Z’s, and even a custom quad that used a Banshee frame and a 600cc crotch rocket engine.

I wasted them ALL! I couldn’t believe it myself. There were some outrageous Banshee’s there too. One had a 420 big bore kit, regardless; I still beat him as well. I was even beating some of the motorcycles out there. Besides the 2 wheel guys, the ONLY guy that beat me and kept beating me was riding a totally tricked out Tri-Z three wheeler with an extended swing arm. Of course he wouldn’t tell me what he had done to it, but it was the fastest thing out there.

After a few runs with him he had the nerve to say to me “Is that all it’s got for a 650!?” in which I promptly replied “Well, it’s completely stock unlike yours, not to mention I weigh about double you (close to 300 lbs.) and my quad is at least 150 lbs heavier too. So yeah I’d say for 650cc’s and you having about a 350 lb advantage it’s not too bad eh?” Needless to say, he shut his blowhole after that comment.

As mentioned my DS is completely stock, the air lid was on, and I was using 22x11x10 (10 paddle) Skat Trak Edge tires (V-Paddle). On the holeshot I was leaning over the handlebars / sitting on the gas tank so it wouldn’t pop a wheelie. As soon as I got the holeshot I’d slip back down on the seat and pull small wheelies in 2nd and 3rd gears. The drag strip was approx. 400-500ft. long. I could pull the steepest hill there (approx 250ft tall) in 3rd gear holding approx 5000 rpm’s.

It was obvious, on our last day there, I let all this power get to me, it was last Tuesday and there were only about 3 other people out on the dunes. I was flying up one of the steeper hills and didn’t notice the wind created a rift at the top, which upon my arrival kicked the rear end of the DS up in the air. I thought for sure I was going to endo it. I managed not to endo it, but upon impact my right foot slipped off the peg, sliding my weight to the right of the bike, which in turn made me turn the handlebars to the left, which now created a nice domino catastrophic result. The right front tire dug into the sand and flipped the DS over to the right side. I managed to catch it all on tape, it didn’t look too bad at all, except somehow my left boot lace got caught on something and when the DS rolled over it wrenched my leg. End result: broken dune flag, front right fender bracket cracked, both black foot guards (behind the pegs) split, sprained foot, ankle, and knee. Let’s not forget the broken pride, LOL. Anyhow, I’m glad I didn’t break anything and I had one hell of a good time at the dunes.

Old 08-31-2000, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

Cool.... I've never been to any dunes. Sounds like a blast.

Oh, is there any way you can get the video onto the net for the rest of us?

Old 08-31-2000, 02:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Sounds like a great experience, except for the bad luck towards the end. Did you get a chance to race anyone while hillshooting? How did the DS compare?

Old 08-31-2000, 04:01 PM
Trailblazer

Don't stories like yours generally begin with "Once upon a time...?" I've got to believe that even the most die hard DS owner, while thoroughly enjoying your tale, is going to have a hard time believing your story as written. By the way, you are welcome to sit at my campfire anytime. You would fit in just fine with the bunch that I ride with.:-)

Old 08-31-2000, 05:51 PM
Range Rover

Hey Kawasakikid, was it the last dune that you wiped out on?? I had and almost identical experience on the last hill their. Only I cut my leg open pretty bad (bled for three days), and bent my handlebars.
Hey, (and don't take offense to this), but I have a hard time believing that you could beat every machine out their, but stranger things have happened, I've seen some pretty radical quads out there. By the way where is Avoca at in Michigan. I have a Banshee, and I would love to go riding with a DS owner, I've never actually seen one in action. Later.

Old 08-31-2000, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So let me get this straight -

You're 300 lbs and you own a DS that is faster than anything - except for one Tri-Z.

You were able to film your own crash.

Your riding boots have laces.

I believe your dune trip went more like this... You went to the dunes with some friends and fell asleep after eating too many Big Macs. You had a dream that you owned a DS650 and were able to beat anything except for an oddly fast Yamaha (with an extended swingarm). You woke up in a daze and tripped over a beer bottle and scratched your left leg on a log and smacked your head on the bumper of your '72 Pinto. Of course, you also landed on your camcorder and it ate the tape you made of the entire trip, and the blow to your head created the illusion that you actually experienced the story you have told us. No wonder you laughed at the end of your post....

Old 08-31-2000, 07:59 PM
Trailblazer

Thats funny dude

Old 08-31-2000, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Little SandmanBlue...he needed the money!

Old 08-31-2000, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Boy, these banshee guys get a little pissed when someone talks about beating them. I have had a long running race with a shee at the sand pits where I ride, he was mad the first time becacse he just put a 420 big bore kit on it and I outrun him by 8 bike lengths. He then spent another $1600 on a Trinity Stage 4 kit, he finally took me by about 5 lengths. We were racing about 400 yds. in sand. He is the same size as me (170 lbs.) My bike is stock except for a 38 tooth rear sprocket and 20x11x10 Sand Sharks (actually 21 1/2" tall)He was very happy that he beat me and I was happy I didn't have to spend $4000 dollars on engine mods to get within 5 lengths of a highly modified shee. Don't get me wrong I like the shee and ride with several of them, but they know who the boss is ( the guy with $10,000 in his bike ) but I'm a close second. I can live with that.
Ride hard, Stay safe, Have fun.

Old 08-31-2000, 11:04 PM
Trailblazer

Right on Tex......it would be a whole different story if the DS had even $2000 worth of mods. How many runs they make with those 2 strokes before they rebuild? I like something more dependable that I don't have to work on everytime I want to ride it.

Quick Reply: 1st dune experience...the good, the bad, and the ugly.