CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

silver lake sand dunes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2000, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is eveyrones input on these dunes? were from wisonsin and planning a trip to them. Is it worth the trip? How large are these dunes? Camping? Would it be neccasary for paddle tires or is it thick sand that you dont need paddles on? I ride a ds650

Old 09-22-2000, 02:07 PM
Range Rover

300exSTER,
i went to silver lakes about 2 weeks ago. they are awesome. the dunes cover 450 acres. there was a full parking lot but there was still plenty of room on the dunes. you can ride right up to lake michigan and the scenery is beautiful. i took the ds with 22 inch dirt devils. they worked fine. but if you want to drag race i would definitely get paddle haulers. there are plenty of huge dune climbs that you can just launch your quad off of. one bit of advice, if you are going to go on a weekend visit the ORV booth on friday night to get a parking voucher. otherwise you will be waiting till noon on saturday to get in. have fun, i plan on going up agian in mid october.

Old 09-22-2000, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

Are there places to jump I mean like serious air.....? How about 30+ ft stretches about 10 ft in the air? I love jumping.... I heard you can only go one way around the dunes. Have they really put that much restriction on the dunes and if they have than does this mean you can't turn around and go up the same hill twice or take the same jump twice? If so I think I will be looking for other dunes.... Sorry ... Little Sahara spoiled me out in Utah.

Old 09-22-2000, 09:23 PM
Range Rover

Silver Lake Sand Dunes are great!!!!!I would deffently RECOMEND paddle tires!!! I am planning on going again in 3 to 4 weeks!!

Old 09-22-2000, 11:36 PM
Trailblazer

If u have never been to the dunes before it is worth the trip. I personally find them to be one of my favorite riding spots. I will not say they are the steepest biggest hills you will ever find, however they are still very fun to climb and depending on cc can be challenging. You can ride w/o paddles and make it everywhere u want to. but if you want to race or get a noticeable difference in traction i would bring paddles. I have ridden up there both ways and paddles are the better way to go if u can.

Old 09-24-2000, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im thinking about goin to silverlake the 30th. I will have to leave my house friday night. Ho long does the OHV booth stay open? Any information you or anyone else could give me would be greatly apreciated.

Old 09-24-2000, 09:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im thinkig adout going to silverlake the 30th. I will prably leave the 29th. What type of rules are there and what time does the OHV booth close? Any information you or anyone else has would be greatly apreciated.Sorry double post.

Trending Topics

Old 09-25-2000, 02:46 AM
Range Rover

cctman,
you can definitely get some serious air. say a dozen off the ground and maybe 40' long should not be a problem it just takes big *****. and at some parts of the dunes a return trail is right next to it so you can repeatedly go over a jump. and believe me the one way rule is definitely a good one, even with a flag it is almost impossible to see the person on the other side of the hill.

Old 09-25-2000, 02:50 AM
Range Rover

marlboro,
dont take my word for this but on saturday i talked to a couple of kids who told me that they got there voucher at 1 a.m. on saturday morning. i think it just depends on how much traffic they are getting through the booth.

Old 09-27-2000, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

Ya....and what about the jumping????
Are there nice lifts and table top areas to jump?
How about dunes with flat tops that you can run off the edge with a gradule slope so your in the air for ever????

Quick Reply: silver lake sand dunes?