ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   CAN-AM (BRP) (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/)
-   -   ready to set new ds on fire (tm 45 problems) (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/198338-ready-set-new-ds-fire-tm-45-problems.html)

devilontheDS 04-03-2005 10:30 PM

ready to set new ds on fire (tm 45 problems)

my 00 ds 650 has a full stage 2 ron woods kit, including my newest arch enemy a tm 45 carb with no accelerator pump. when i got it it would only idle, as soon as you got on the gas it would pop and backfire out the back of the carb and stall.
ive pulled it apart, set the float, cleaned it out, soaked it, re gasketed it, and reassembled it.
currently it will fire up and idle perfectly. you cannot stomp on the throttle it will either pop and stall or slowly build up to about 3\4 throttle. it just all around seems slow(id get stomped by a blaster right now)
after maybe 90 seconds of running. it will bog out and try to stall the throttle has to be ripped back and forth to even move out of its own way. any idea whats going on or should i just throw out the tm and buy a lectron?

Eaglecollector 04-03-2005 10:52 PM

Is this a used TM45 or did you buy it new?

when i got it it would only idle, as soon as you got on the gas it would pop and backfire out the back of the carb and stall.
Sounds like wrong float level and too lean with the needle position.

you cannot stomp on the throttle it will either pop and stall or slowly build up to about 3\4 throttle.
You need the accelerator pump hooked up and set correctly. But you should be able to get more than 3/4 throttle. I would check the cable stop postition and make sure your getting a full stroke.

after maybe 90 seconds of running. it will bog out and try to stall the throttle has to be ripped back and forth to even move out of its own way
Sounds like you have a small grain of sand or other material in one of the passageways of the idle circuit.
Take it apart again and blow everything out with high compressed air.

The lectron does seem to do well. But any carb can cause problems. Hang in there and you'll ger her figured out.

Majorecho 04-03-2005 11:42 PM

make sure the fuel vent hose that is wrapped around the tank is not pinched or the tank can quickly lock up in a vacum state and not flow fuel.
I don't think that is your problem but it should be eliminated as a possibility. My little DS all of the sudden wouldn't run last weekend until we cracked open the fuel cap and allowed it to breath - I cut 6 feet off the vent line so it's only a few inches long so that will never happen again.

The accel pump makes a big difference in the idle to wide open transition but it sounds like the mid and upper end circuits are plugged. Didn't you just pay to have the carb tunned or am I thinking of someone else?

Hightower 04-04-2005 12:59 AM

TM45 info

JSsDS 04-04-2005 06:46 PM

It sounds like the needle is not attached to the slide and is sitting in the jet. Either that or you have an extremely undersized main jet. Of course this is only suggested after you say that the main jet is deffinately not clogged.
How about fuel supply into the carb? If you pull the fuel hose off does the gas run freely out of the hose?

devilontheDS 04-05-2005 10:55 AM

im home for the day sick so im going to go out and check on that vent tube firt as Majorecho suggested. if that dosnt work im ripping the carb off again.
i bought this ds off ebay and knew it had carb troubles.
i sent it to case racing who charged me $155 to fix the carb, and its barely better now.
im going to fully dissasemble it again and report back to you guys with that settings are run.
eagle its a used tm i got on a used ds. but he bought it new with the stage 2 kit from ron woods.
the cable is fine, i can still get only 3\4 throttle out of it when manualy turning the linkage.
js i think my main is 152.5 the main is def not plugged. and the fuel supply in is perfect.
hightower im goig to go threw the carb anduse the settings in your tm45 info page
as soon as i do i will report back top you.
if this dosnt work for me and the guy at case dosnt get back to me i might be taking you up on that offer.

TexasPsycho 04-05-2005 11:20 AM

Man theres some pyros out this week! Just kiding there. Theres someone else in other atv topics that said they were ready to set their raptor on fire. Wish you luck with the problem.. I can't give you any advice on how to fix it but I can let you know what helps me when I get to your point.. I have to go inside and play a video game or something to take a break and get the stress level back down. A lot of times after I stop thinking about the problem so much the answer just pops in my head. Seems the harder I think when I'm mad the harder a problem is to figure out. Like I said I wish you luck and hope you figure it out.

devilontheDS 04-05-2005 03:53 PM

thanks guys im so flustered

i pulled the front plastics's off to make life a bit easier.
before i removed the carb i played around a bit and this is what i have found.
#1 it runs much better with the choke on.
this would lead me to bealive that it was running lean.
#2 i pulled the plugs out (20 minutes of riding on em) and there shot completly black and carboned up but not wet)
so this would tell me its running rich. i have the carb on the bench right now im going to crack it open and report back what jets and needles i have in it. and i'll take a look at the float setting again.
anything in particular i should be looking for?

BigDaddy331 04-05-2005 04:12 PM

We'll first off... the 152.5 main is probably a little much, I'd probably start at 145 and go from there. Check the needle. Put it in it's middle position and go to the next step. Sounds to me like your problem is a lack of air combined with a rich set up. Check your filter, your intake manifold boot (for cracks) and check to make sure that you have complete throw from your throttle.

This is a VERY easy carb to work on. We'll get it... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

SCOUNDREL 04-05-2005 04:42 PM

Originally posted by: Majorecho
make sure the fuel vent hose that is wrapped around the tank is not pinched or the tank can quickly lock up in a vacum state and not flow fuel.
I don't think that is your problem but it should be eliminated as a possibility. My little DS all of the sudden wouldn't run last weekend until we cracked open the fuel cap and allowed it to breath - I cut 6 feet off the vent line so it's only a few inches long so that will never happen again.

The accel pump makes a big difference in the idle to wide open transition but it sounds like the mid and upper end circuits are plugged. Didn't you just pay to have the carb tunned or am I thinking of someone else?

Speaking of vent hoses, what's the deal with wrapping them up under the tank? Doesn't that seem kind of stupid to have vent hoses from the carb venting to the outside air with no filter on the ends? It seems to me your asking for some particulates to flow down the vent tubes and into the carb.....

I'm just sayin.....