CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS 650 Power...stock...and max of max

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2000, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess everyone knows that the 650 of the Bombardier DS is from Rotax (which belongs to bombardier or whatsoever economical link), and that this engine can be seen in some bikes. In particular the BMW F650 Funduro. I don't know if it's sold in Canada, or US, but it is in Europe. What is probably less famous here (in America) than it is in Europe is that BMW won the Paris Dakar Rally with a works F650. It has everything of a works race bike (carbon fiber, titanium and stuff like this everywhere), but what's most interesting is about the engine. Because Paris Dakar regulations do not allow engine block changes (well...at least that).
Here's what M motorsport obtained out of the Rotax 650. They actually made it a 700cc (instead of 650) and it puts out 75hp at 8500 rev/min (instead of 48 for the stock F650).
So, if anyone wants to know to what point they can boost their engine...or rather what professionals can take out of such an engine, without ruining reliability...
If you want more details, just ask..

Old 10-06-2000, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

Yes please share youre info. with all
Bearman

Old 10-06-2000, 01:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Are you referring to these kits? http://www.team-pami.de/ENGLISCH/PRO...frame_kits.htm

Ron Wood does not do the whole motor. The shipping overseas is costly. I don't know of anyone in the US that has these kits.

Old 10-06-2000, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

No.
The guys that prepared this F650 are the actual M Motorsport department of BMW. I really don't think they let a private team do the preparation. And if it had been the guys from the website, there would be at least a pic (keep in mind that in Europe, winning Paris Dakar is very good, and makes you famous).
However, those guys seem to do big things...just don't know anything about reliability from them. The works F650 is reliable. No doubt about it... There are some thousands of km from Paris to Dakar (which isn't actually from paris to dakar any more), in real tough conditions.
Titanium exhaust sounds cool...