CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

I have seen it and rode it...who wants to touch me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2000, 04:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from the most awesome ride of my life. The DS is the fastest thing I have ever swung my leg over. It pulls strong all the way through but kicks in even more in 5th. It easily blew by a Banshee with pipes, and a 400EX wasn't even close. I rode it for a minute or two and was impressed in just that short time. Upon hearing it at first, it seemed that it bogged down during shifts, but while on the quad it doesn't feel like it bogs at all. Oh yeah, and the engine is huge. The front fenders we nicely engineered too, they turn with the wheels for full protection. Wish I had 7K.

------------------
Kevin JA Works of Georgia

1996 Yamaha Warrior

Old 01-18-2000, 03:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

im not ******* the DS at all but everyone ive heard seems to say it blows away banshees but its only 2 mph faster then a banshee in the long run and my banshee itself ran 74 on the gun.

Old 01-18-2000, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

I really find the DS an interesting machine.... I don't think it is fair to assume that the Stock DS is going to beat all banshees....maybe I guess....actually, I am interested in getting one in the spring.(ds that is)...I am a Banshee owner...I love it...It's not too much work for me. But I need to wait until all the kinks are worked out before I throw down the change for a DS....I have a fairly worked on Banshee........I have no problems once so ever keeping up with any machine in the woods....and even straits for all that matters. I think it is proven that the Banshee does rip..no matter what anyone wants to read or say in the posts. The Banshee can be a handful..But I really have not run into any trouble yet...
I plan on keeping the Banshee...probably for a long time....I have done enough work in suspension, swingarm and A-arms alone to make My Machine not worth selling. I mean think about it.....who in their right mind would pay me over the cost of new for a used '96 Banshee...though it looks and performs better than a stock 2000 model....
Alot of people spend so much time comparing horse power....to torque.... to dyno tests... to drag races...etc... But none seems to really stop and think about what the true meaning of this sport is... and that is having fun and enjoying doing what your doing on a machine that works for you.
To close I will say that I have never rode a DS...I keep hoping that one of my friends will buy one, so I can see it work.
But so far...until this day when I see it in person...I will always believe that there is not a soul out there that can beat me and my banshee with a stock DS..Thats bold...I know...But I will be the first to admit it when the day comes. I am from NY and it is very hard to find someone to ride with that does not own a Banshee or 400ex or some heavy Utility quad...So I do not have much to compare to.

Keep us all informed ...I am really not knocking the DS...So far I like it...It's just too new to be all the Hype just yet.

Old 01-20-2000, 05:00 PM
Trailblazer

yamaha1996... it will beat a stock Banshee, but not one with serious work done to it. You can't trust the mags on any posted speed, I don't know the top speed but its higher than a STOCK Banshee.

sAyIt_fmf... A stock DS will beat stock Banshees, but not ones with major mods. I believe you 100%. I'd take a newer Banshee over the DS anyday, I dont have 7K to throw around for a quad. I like two strokes, and I definitly like Yamaha.

------------------

1996 Yamaha Warrior

Old 01-20-2000, 05:07 PM
Trailblazer

From what I've seen in sand drags, you better have more than pipes and reeds on a Banshee if you plan on seeing anything but the rear of a DS, unless maybe your on a quadzilla, but I haven't seen one run a DS yet.

------------------
88' TRX 250R
00' DS650

[This message has been edited by alock (edited 01-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by alock (edited 01-20-2000).]

Old 01-22-2000, 02:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Badwarrior
Inever said anything about an article i said my banshee it self went 74 on my own gun with just a K&N.

Old 01-22-2000, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer

yamaha...I'm sorry I figured you were quoting speeds from the mags. I believe that a Banshee will run 74, I have no problem seeing that. The speed I was talking about from the mags was that of the DS, have you radared one of them to get a top speed?

------------------

1996 Yamaha Warrior

Old 01-22-2000, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

Food for thought... Even though a 400ex will "blow past" a Scrambler 500 according to some people, stock for stock, the 400ex is only about 1 or 2mph faster on top end. Top speed is good, but so is getting there fast.

Old 01-23-2000, 02:53 PM
Range Rover

How many people actualy own a DS? The 400EX has a lot more sales than that thing! I think Bombardier needs another utility quad, one without step through seating, and some good features. When the Rubicon comes out this year a lot of the companies will have to step up, if the tranny is not all hype.

Old 01-24-2000, 03:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

How can you compare the sales of a model which has been out for almost 2 years now, to a Model which has been out, for ABOUT 20 days? Please tell me how this is relevant? Do you have sales figures from Bombardier yet? Do you have sales figures from Honda's first month, on a day-to-day scale to compare each side by side? What about the idea of how many were produced so far? You certrainly wont see a company selling 200,000 units, if they only made 20,000.

------------------
-Chris Olson "The Black Hawk"

1990 CT LT250R 1987 Mojave Green&Mean

Quick Reply: I have seen it and rode it...who wants to touch me?