CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

I got a problem, I need HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got a problem, I need HELP

I have a 03 DS 650. Everytime I go into 2nd gear it feels like the clutch is slipping but its only in second not in first or third or so on, What can it be and please dont tell me its going to be the gear because I dont want to take the engine out and crack it open, someone tell me its something easy. And where can I get engine and transmission parts for the DS. I will take any advice or try anything.

Old 08-11-2005, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

you need to put it in second gear pump the front brake up nice and tight then let out the clutch . That rite there should tell you if it is slipping in 2. when my clutch and stuff went out the motor would start reving higher but the bike would start slowing down.

Old 08-11-2005, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Funny it would only slip in second gear. seems like it would slip in all of them. I have a buddy that just replaced the shift forks in the tranny. His problem was that it would slip and then pop out of gear in second. The shift forks in there are really puny. I guess the cause was that he was shifting without the clutch. I dont know much about clutches but have you made sure its adjusted right? Maybe the clutch springs need replaced? Maybe some of the builders will chime in here.

Old 08-12-2005, 02:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Are the gears hard to change in the DS650?

Old 08-12-2005, 04:09 AM
Pro Rider

well if it is a gear or shift fork problem your going to have to pull the motor and split the cases. You might consider having a qualified tech do it for you.

Old 08-12-2005, 05:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

I dont have 800 bucks to spend right now.

Old 08-12-2005, 11:51 AM
sam
Pro Rider

you might want to take the clutch out and sand the steel plates,see if that stops the any slipping. also make sure you got a good motor oil I use HP4, just make sure its for clutches.

Trending Topics

Old 08-12-2005, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

2432 if you dont have the 800 to spend rite now dont worry about second then. When you tear it apart you are gonna want to upgrade shift forks anyway, ride til you cant ride it anymore. is it popping out of 2 or is there a like a jerking feeling while in 2. Im not a mechanic but i guess if you broke three fourths of the gears teeth off it might slip in second. Like i said put the front brake on real good get against the garage wall and let the clutch out with you on it. With you on it youwill be putting a load on secon so that will show you if there is slipping going on. Be sure to hold that front brake tight the whole time becouse if you dont that thing might climb the wall with you. Try it and let us know. This advice is from a class called shade tree mechanics 101, I bet you wont find this test in your manuel, or at your local shop.

Old 08-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

It's not popping out of second it is just giving me that jerking feeling. and as far as the test I will try it this weekend.

Old 08-12-2005, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

Hey, wait for me. I wanna get my video camera and record this for my Shade Tree shop manual. I wouldn't have the ba**s to do that with my DS. Good luck.

Quick Reply: I got a problem, I need HELP