ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   CAN-AM (BRP) (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/)
-   -   Floating Rotors on a DS? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/213885-floating-rotors-ds.html)

SCOUNDREL 08-17-2005 04:47 PM

Floating Rotors on a DS?

That’s right floating rotors on a DS. I have a very good friend who in the business of floating brakes for Harley Davidson and he and I have designed the best rotors for all the Harley bikes so naturally I started looking at the possibility of making one for my DS. I'll keep anyone who is interested informed as soon as the design is completed.

By the way they are made out of 420 Stainless

Scatterbrain 08-17-2005 08:55 PM

Floating Rotors on a DS?

Very cool, whats the center star going to be made out of Aluminum? WIll it work with the stock caliper? Keep me posted. Yet another way to lighten up rotating mass!

TheChosenOne 08-17-2005 11:18 PM

Floating Rotors on a DS?

Can someone kindly clarify for us exactly what floating rotors are? Thanks

JMAC650 08-18-2005 02:52 AM

Floating Rotors on a DS?

What about a floating wave rotor?

SCOUNDREL 08-18-2005 10:08 AM

Floating Rotors on a DS?

Originally posted by: TheChosenOne
Can someone kindly clarify for us exactly what floating rotors are? Thanks

Devin,

Very simply a floating rotor is where the rotor is made up of two individual pieces. The center section ( Typically Aluminum) is what bolts to the wheel hub and the outer section ( 420 Stainless) is called the friction ring, this is the part the brake pads press against.

Jason,

Yes, they can be made in the wave style as well.

Keith,

Yes they will be designed to work with the stock calipers. And It will be with the best brake pads available on the market today.

dabomb03 08-18-2005 12:00 PM

Floating Rotors on a DS?

how much do you think this set up will cost?

SCOUNDREL 08-18-2005 12:18 PM

Floating Rotors on a DS?

Haven't given it much thought..... First is the feasibility, producibility, customer interest and then, well we can't talk cost here.

JMAC650 08-18-2005 12:19 PM

Floating Rotors on a DS?

Count me in on a set.

Scatterbrain 08-18-2005 02:31 PM

Floating Rotors on a DS?

Scoundrel, I just wanted to add this for chosens benefit. Correct me if Im wrong.

A few reason why you would want them are that the disc doesnt heat up as much thus reducing the chance of warpage. Lighter rotating mass and they will center better in the caliper so there even pressure on both sides of the disc sort of self centering. I have a buddy thats a Harley mechanic. We were just talking about this. If you need some help with your R&D on this let me know Scoundrel. Im no engineer but I am hell on brakes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

SCOUNDREL 08-18-2005 02:38 PM

Floating Rotors on a DS?

Keith.....you have a PM