CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Ds to war and back

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2000, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read that the ds is set up to go to war and back. I think that the weight of the ds has to do with durability. It is heavy because the components are strong and durable. I'd like to hear some opinions of the Ds and what owners think of theres? I love mine. Only 1 complaint..the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd gear is a bit to low..but 3rd 4th and 5th is just fine to me. Sure almost every yamaha/honda owner says that the Ds is heavy and costs to much, but i wonder if they ever consider that it has Already Awesome 12" suspension! and good handling for its size, and those easly make up for the weight. They also dont understand that the Ds is loaded with aftermarket parts, like axle, aarms, axle barring carrier, handlebars, tires, rim's....and so on. I think the ds is a great machine...whats some other opinions?

Old 10-21-2000, 04:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you like your DS, but, "comes loaded with aftermarket parts?"

What happens to the OEM parts? Does Bombardier manufacture, install, remove and then warehouse the original components?

Of course not; that's absurd--however, your statement about a quad sold new with "aftermarket" parts confuses me; please clarify. Thanks!

Tree Farmer

Old 10-21-2000, 05:52 AM
Pro Rider

Its been mentioned here before but warrants mention again-DS's are available well below MSRP all over the country. Shopping around a bit will eliminate the excessive cost objection to the DS 650.

Old 10-21-2000, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

I couldn't have said it better myself.I have had all kinds of 3-wheelers)4-wheelers and still have my 400ex and mint condition 86 250r,and I got my DS650 a little over a week ago and must say it is VERY well built.It is also very fast>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. The weather is getting bad here now,but I can't wait to get it out again.Out of a 1 to 10 I will give it a 9,and thats only because my chain roller came off.I might even change that, when I get to ride it some more.But WOW the power.Just my two cents...........

Old 10-21-2000, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

I ment it was a 9 in its category. It's a dune shredder for purpose,but can do fine on trails too.My 400 ex is a trail machine by purpose,but does fine on the dunes. I love them both for being as different as the can be.

Old 10-21-2000, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

Tree Farmer

Sorry about that. What i mean is that the Ds650 comes "already" wiht +2 a-arms, +2 axle, barring carrier, 12" long travel fox shocks. Thats what i mean

Old 10-21-2000, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

The DS650 is stock when its leaves the dealer,unless you have had something added to it, stock meaning the way Bombardier builds this machine.Technically..aftermarket means parts installed/added on after a machine is built at a factory/shop/assembly line.I beleive 300exster means there are parts on DS650 that originated from manufacturers who normally produce parts that are sold "aftermarket",examples are Douglas wheels,Durablue axle {or least that my dealer says}, Kenda tires etc. Another words the DS650 does come with these parts but via Bombardiers factory/assembly plant.So that does make these parts stock.
I just wish the steering stem was stronger or came from a manufcturer who builds stronger ones.I rolled mine once and the stem bent like a wet noodle.Happy Trails

Old 10-23-2000, 12:57 AM
Trailblazer

I understand what you are saying sorry that every else has to take you so to the point. What you are trying to say is the parts on the DS are so well made in the reliablity department that they are like having after market parts from the factory. Yes they may be OEM but they are alot better than other stock parts on other machines. Look at other machines name one that comes with that heavy duty of hubs, axles, chain, sprockets, stator, shocks. That is why I was willing to pay that extra money. So answer me this if anyone can were is the justified extra cost in the raptor or do they think all prices are created equal.

Old 10-26-2000, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

Ill answer for the raptor. Take a banshee $5999 for 500 more dollars you get a big bore four stroke that is of approximate equal weight, you get a top of the line suspension compared to the banshee. You also get new aluminum parts such as the awesome swingarm and axle housing, a 5 valve liquid cooled fan assisted engine, dry sump with external tank. The brakes are Nissin hydraulic, electric start, easy chain adjustment, easy air filter access, dual CV mikuni carbs for awesome throttle response without and Iron Thumb. You get major lighting, new stylish looks, even though the front is narrow the A-arms are very long and the frame is narrow giving you all of the positive characteristics of a wider quad. removeable replaceable grab bar, Radial tires that hook up really well. and on and on and on. Apparently if the price on the Ds doesnt drop I can see the Raptors price going up. Im not dissing the DS it has good equipment too, But For $500 over a banshee or $1000 over a EX its well worth the money and then some.

Old 10-27-2000, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

You are very right about the DS650 being awesome. I love mine more than my old 87 Banshee. The thing that I like about the DS over the banshee is the fact that the powerband isn't hard to control. What I am trying to say is that when you hit the powerband going over the jump in a banshee, it is very hard to control and it screws you up so that you land it wrong. Maybe its just the way I ride. The only drawback about the DS650 is that there is now reverse. I could have really used it about a week ago when a farmer took my key. Luckily I have a duplicate. Though next time he is gonna get it. He won't be walking away with it. Anyways the DS650 is awesome I just wish it had reverse, because let me tell you, it is a long walk when you are pushing a 500 pound machine 2 miles.

Quick Reply: Ds to war and back