CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Adjusting the suspension on my DS.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting the suspension on my DS.

Hi guys. I'm looking for some tips on setting up my suspension. I'm 6'7" at 295lbs. I have owned my 04 DS Baja for about a year now. I think I need to adjust my suspension differently but am not sure the route I should go.
I measured the distance in the back of the quad and adjusted it according to the owners manual. Right now I have the two rings on the back shock turned all the down as far as they will go. This gives me the correct distance in inches in the back according to the manual. The problem I am having is when traveling at speeds about 40 or greater over large bumps or so called whoop de doos my quad seems to bounce around so bad that I almost loose control and have to slow down. Other quads running next to me and then passing me dont seem to have problems. It does not seem to take the bumps as well as I think it could.

Are there any of you guys out there that could recommend some settings that would correct this? I'm not sure if I should play around with the gas settings on the shocks ? Any help would be great. Thanks, D

Old 09-27-2005, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

Mrneg9,
I've set mine to the stock specs, and have played with the rebound, and dampening. I've got my dampening set up pretty stiff, and the rebound set up so it rebounds very quickly. It OK, but with my weight, plus gear, I'm pretty close to 300lbs. I really think with the weight you and I are moving around with, a valve rebuild, and a heavier spring are really the only thing that's going to make the bike work well.
J.
Edit: I just remembered, I was reading some posts along time ago that mentioned that alot of the DS's came with low nitrogen pressure in the shock. I had mine checked, and it was really low. I had it filled for like 5$.... I can't remember what the pressure is...something like 300psi... Do a search, and see what you can find.
Good luck!!!

Old 09-27-2005, 08:45 PM
Trailblazer

MrNeg~ Have you set your "sag" yet... I wiegh just a few #'s heavier than you, and it help a ton... YOu just break the lock nut loose right above the rear spring then turn the whole spring clock wise to stiffin it up, with you on the bike it should only compress 3.0-4.0 inches. THis is in the owners manual, really helped, then I would try stiffening the compression.

Old 09-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Range Rover

Mrneg9, You definitely need to do an advanced search for some of the "hightower" suspension setup threads. He did a nice big write up on this issue. Don't be afraid to mess with the rebound settings.

Old 09-27-2005, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

Yes the rings are turned all the way down and I only have about 3 inches of travel when I sit on it. I'm wondering if I should back off on the rings or try to adjust the gas settings on the rear shock.

Old 09-27-2005, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

Hightower. Yes I will try that. thanks.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Mrneg9
Yes the rings are turned all the way down and I only have about 3 inches of travel when I sit on it. I'm wondering if I should back off on the rings or try to adjust the gas settings on the rear shock.
I would try adjusting them with the sag set the way it is... 3" at our weight is perfect and especially if your whooping at 40+ mph.... Like I said I stiffened mine just a touch so I dont bottom out on jumps... Then I would go back to that whoop section, lean all the way back with your BUM hovering just above the DS seat and peg it in 4th and hold on, no one will ever pull away from you when you dont want them too!!!