CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

help with a head gasket leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with a head gasket leak

Well on the third ride since got yhe quad back together and i notice that i am losng coolant on the back of the jug. Right where the intake goes in, and this is between the cylinder and the head. At first it was leaking pretty good so i tightened the 11 mm bolt on the back along with the 5mm hex on the corner. it helped but now it barely seeps voolant, actually the gasket is wet but no significant leaks. What should i do, and can this hurt mt quad??
Thanks John

Old 09-27-2005, 10:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

it sucks I know, but you really need to tear it back apart and replace the gasket.
anytime the head is removed, the head gasket needs replaced, it should be put on dry with no gasket sealers and the surfaces that it contacts on the head and cylinder should be totally clean and dry. the stock head gaskets have a sealer of their own applied from the factory. when a new gasket is used on good clean surfaces and bolts at proper torque there should be no trouble with leaks. if you did all of the above upon reassmebly and are experiencing these leaks in spite of it all, something must have gone wrong without being noticed, like the gasket had damage, or a piece of debris or dirt got between the sandwich or something, or maybe a piece of the old gasket was missed and still on one of the surfaces.

the fact that there is a visible leak means that there may also be another leak somewhere else you cannot see, and this is why I would not waste time in re-doing it.

another tidbit I'll throw in is technique in tightening the main head bolts. if you use a "clicker" type torque wrench then the bolts need gone back over many times to insure the torque has stayed. I prefer the beam torque wrenches with the long needle on a gauge, because when using one you can easily see how once you reach the torque and then hold there, the torque bleeds off as the gasket is compressed. you can then keep kreeping up the torque as it bleeds off until you reach the point of the torque staying and not dropping. with the clickers, you don't notice this, and often times people do not go over the 4 stay bolts enough times to reach the permanent torque for lack of realizing what is really going on.

Old 09-27-2005, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

Good points all, Hightower.

Old 09-28-2005, 12:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm all for putting new parts on when needed but, the Preacher has assembled my engine and many others with re-used MLS gaskets and the gasketcinch (sp.) He says three uses is what he recommends. Don't know about the stock head gasket though. I'ld probably replace each time.

I'm going to go look for some wood to knock on now. . . [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]