CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Looks like a scam. What do you think.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks like a scam. What do you think.

A guy emails me on my ds on ebay and says.

"Hello friend, your tractor is exactally what im looking for.
VERRY VERRY INTERESTED .... CONSIDER ME YOUR BUYER
I would like to buy your tractor asap.Let me know what is your reserve price with buy it now and I will buy it asap.I have the money in my hand.Also let me know how do you want to make the payment.I'm willing to pay by western union,money gram,pay pal,bank to bank transfer,money order.So let me know ... Waiting from you an answer ASAP.

Regards..."

Regards always sound fishy to me. What do you guys think.

Old 09-28-2005, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good eye. It is almost definitely a scam. I had similar emails when I was seling my DS650. Its known as a Nigerian scam. They are low life POS's. Your best bet would be to ignore it. Instead of "Buyer Beware" its now "Seller Beware"

Old 09-28-2005, 03:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

"regards" is very common in other countries, but none the less he doesn't even know what he is asking about and its definitely a scam. they pay with bogus checks, but by the time your bank figures it out your merchandise is gone and you are screwed.

BTW - WHATS UP ROCKEY!!?!???!!!! where you been? got a new bike huh?
When you coming back to Badlands, long time no see!!!!

Old 09-28-2005, 03:49 AM
Pro Rider

but western union is guaranteed funds no? when I paid western union, I paid debit, then they wired the cash away. Don't know if they would wire it before a cheque clears or not. i'd take his cash and officialize the payment before sending the quad...tell him you require a 10 day hold on payments before the machine leaves your hands to ensure it's not a scam, see if he responds.

Old 09-28-2005, 04:12 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hightower
"regards" is very common in other countries, but none the less he doesn't even know what he is asking about and its definitely a scam. they pay with bogus checks, but by the time your bank figures it out your merchandise is gone and you are screwed.

BTW - WHATS UP ROCKEY!!?!???!!!! where you been? got a new bike huh?
When you coming back to Badlands, long time no see!!!!

Hey Dude! I just picked this bike up last week. We are going to Haspin on Saturday if you can make it. I was hoping Bombardier would have a 450 quad out by now but I couldn't wait any longer. Let me know when you guys go riding again

Old 09-28-2005, 04:17 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TheChosenOne
but western union is guaranteed funds no? when I paid western union, I paid debit, then they wired the cash away. Don't know if they would wire it before a cheque clears or not. i'd take his cash and officialize the payment before sending the quad...tell him you require a 10 day hold on payments before the machine leaves your hands to ensure it's not a scam, see if he responds.

NO NO NO. A million times no. That is how they fool everyone. They send you a certified check. You take it to your bank. Two days later the money shows up in your account balance. You figure its good and send hime the balance, yes balance. They always overpay. Three weeks later the bank finds out it is a very good forgery and it BOUNCES. You are the one left to hang out and dry! The bank puts the onus on you to verify funds. Very rarely will the bank take the hit. DONT ASK HOW I KNOW THIS. I came within minutes of losing $$7k

Old 09-28-2005, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

jmac650 i can't believe ur gettin rid of that bike it's sooooo sweet! i'd def take those beadlocks and put them on your other bike. but hey u gotta do what u gotta do. sry u have to get rid of it. i would def be a bider if i didn't spend all my money on my own quad already

Phil

Old 09-28-2005, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

Looks fine to me. I email sellers all the time with the same request. Simply have the guy use an escrow service oe Western union or even paypal with payment confirmation.....no big deal.

Old 09-28-2005, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: dabomb03
jmac650 i can't believe ur gettin rid of that bike it's sooooo sweet! i'd def take those beadlocks and put them on your other bike. but hey u gotta do what u gotta do. sry u have to get rid of it. i would def be a bider if i didn't spend all my money on my own quad already

Phil
It's OK I have 2 DS's the same. Both have beadlocks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-28-2005, 01:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'ld proceed as if it were a scam.

Does he want you to ship it?

Have him pay by cash and come pick it up!

If he is overseas and wants you to ship the bike that's a dead give-a-way. The shipping costs are way too much to justify buying a bike like that.

Use common sense. If he wants to pay top dollar then pay for shipping I'ld say stay away. If he's looking to pay $2,500 and pick it up then it has a better chance of being legit. If he's a thief he isn't worried about price.

As for "Regards". . . I use it all the time (e-mails and letters!)

Quick Reply: Looks like a scam. What do you think.