CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Is the 730 kit worth the $$$$

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 02:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the 730 kit worth the $$$$

Originally posted by: fast69
it,s Me
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Well is the 800 worth the money?

Old 02-18-2006, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

I remember this thread from a while back and it seems that it just won't go away. After my experience with the HPR Race Head, I'd say it was well worth it. It's kind of like buying that birthday cake for your kids. You know what I'm talking about.... when you buy a cake, the cake is always good, but the frosting makes or breaks it. If you like the old fashioned icing that is very sweet and turns hard after a couple of days, then you are not going to like that cream crap that they put on now.

I really have never understood the debate that many have put forth. I understand what they are trying to debate, I just don't think that it's relative. Let me explain.... if the debate centers around the idea of "bang for the buck", then it only seems obvious that the 730 kit makes sense. It the debate is over "does it actually make enough power", then it still makes sense because volume is volume. More CC's will always yield power. I think that the interesting argument is whether or not the kit is right for you. Based on finances, expected outcome and purpose only you can decide. But that is where your interdialogue should focus. I realize guys like Choose are making valid point about Bang for Buck, but these are the same guys that have full drag chasis. Money is money, and if you choose to do EXTREME chasis work and not EXTREME motor work, your choice is yours. Most of us can't go that extreme with thier chasis for under 3K - 4k. I think that Choose is still on the fence about going big on his motor. That said, is he wrong for going to the spider bike chasis? Absolutely not. It's one bad mother! But were not asking if chasis work is worth the money...... We're talking about big bore modification. One could easily argue that a purpose built chasis is the worst thing you could do to a DS, because it's intended desert/sand (DS) purpose has been erased. Meaning that you can no longer dune, desert or trail ride. Choose's needs are very specific, and I think that his chasis is something to behold. I would never do that, but then again, I'm not asking if a drag chasis is worth the money. Clearly a drag only quad is not right for me. Too big to be a real racer any way.

CC's make power. They make a broad power that works. The math doesn't lie.... if you stack the right components on the bike, you will get the power increase that's published. I got my 10 - 11 ponies just as advertised. If you do a big bore with the wrong elements attached, you gain less. You'll still gain, but maybe not what's published. Take a look at the latest dirt wheels.... Every single one of the 400 series bikes including the YFZ 450 have big bore kits available. Are they better bang for the buck? YES. No less than 8 companies are offering kits for them, and as we know, they'll outsell BOMB bigbores by 200:1. This means that they'll cost less to produce, less to sell and in turn... less to buy. If you are a DS guy looking to modify your bike cheaply, you have purchased the wrong bike.

I've worked on MANY, MANY quads... I work on them every weekend for just about everybody. Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Bombarier, Honda. I can't remember one person that didn't wense when it came to money. I've got people questioning a complete big bore kit including cams and carb for just under $1000. I've got people questioning their purchase of a big bore kit alone when they approach $500. You must decide what is important for you, do the research, ask questions and talk to retailers. I believe that the choice is clear for a DS BigBore kit. But I can't make the choice for you.

If it doesn't feel right... it probably isn't.

If the information doesn't ring true.... it probably isn't.

If you can't afford it..... walk away and be happy owning a DS. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2006, 02:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Bigdaddy, Your exactly right. I spent my money on the chassis to do one thing and thats go fast. Im just like any other customer that can make a phone call to any builder under the sun to build this monster of a motor that will soon adorn this queen and should be treated as such. But for some reason there are a number of people who take every post that I make and disect it to see whats really being meant or not. All I can say is if the shoe fits wear it. Thanks BigD. I hope to meet you one day.....soon. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2006, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

Forget meeting me.... I want to ride your sled! That thing will be SICK with a HPR800, or maybe even a HPR850!

Someday we'll get EVERYONE together and do some hand-shaken'

Until then.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2006, 04:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigDaddy331
Forget meeting me.... I want to ride your sled! That thing will be SICK with a HPR800, or maybe even a HPR850!

Someday we'll get EVERYONE together and do some hand-shaken'

Until then.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
BigD, your always welcome to ride my sled....just wait till you see the "new and improved" spiderbike. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2006, 05:26 PM
H
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DSNUT
Originally posted by: Goodsound
Ya, I heard that too. Kinda makes you wounder dont it?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
LMAO First post ever coming on to help Shmee dredge up an old discussion meant to try and discredit HPR. If you don't like them, why don't you try to discredit them by outrunning them?

Unbelievable!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
A little FYI, Shmee has outrun every stockbore HPR bike he ran. He did it with an 11.5-1 boat anchor piston, woods A!-A2 cams and a crappy Tm 45. Some of what he ran were running HPR 14-1 super duper pistons and the better than anyones HPR cams and Lectron carbs. It seems that if somebody on these forums says anything other than HPR is the ultimate DS builder they get slammed. HPR products are great. So is Pami, So is Woods, so is TVI. NO discredit on HPR is meant. This is to give credit where credit is due. It says something when people compare their products performance to HPR. Thinik about it. Their prices are higher than most any other builder. Someone has to pay for them to trvel all over the country to show their wares. Its just not me at this point in time. I'm way too cheap.There are other products which perform well enough for me at a lot less cost. My $.02

Old 02-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

YEAH what H said!!!
I make Fred Mertz look like Donald Trump.

Old 02-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

Old 02-18-2006, 07:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: yjacket2001
H,

I don't doubt anyone 'can' do it, especially other highly successful vendor competitors. Its just HPR automatically integrates your system components they are familiar with, supports their products, and makes anyone able to achieve what you can 'ask' for: but you have to learn what results/products to ask about. So its still not real easy (in fact it takes massive levels of research), but vendor competitors are highly skilled technicians. HPR allows almost anyone to have builder support levels with exceptional products and reasonable prices.

Who knows what competitors have done to their atv's to win though. They may not sell it though, much less support it. Reliability, support, and integration is the key: nothing else. Nothing is keeping anyone from posting anything, and I scrutinize HPR's products every day. They always show worth to me; but that and $3 will get you a cup of coffee. If you are talking about 'hollow' claims without any backup support, then yes, successful product users will challenge you. Do you just want an open license to pump unsubstatiated claims? Good luck. But no, you are right anyone can do anything. Show me.
I gotta support yjacket on this one. Couldn't have said it any better myself!

Old 02-18-2006, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

what really needs to be done here is find out what is what. my 730 bigbores with the hpr4 cams, 48hv, oversized valves, is equal to what in a rw stage 1 2 3 what, what is it equal to in a pami build and whoever else out there that builds ds motors. you gather all these bikes that are supposed to be equal and then you go from there. you cant just take one bike dyno it in kentucky and pull 78 horse power and then dyno the rwr in cali and get 80 horsepower and then the pami in africa and come up with 79 zebra powers.evryones dyno will read different and sure i can get my bike to outread everyone elses. gather all these bikes together without there builders so there are no hidden agendas, no hidden invisible nitrous buttons . no slpipping in of extra parts. if it calls for the standard porting on the head then put the standard ported head on.First all these bikes need to be checked out by a certified official to make sure what everyone is claiming that they have in there. gear them the same, put them all on same weight chassis and go from there. when a person wins in nascar dont they take the winners car and do a firm investigation into it making sure everything is up to specs. anyone can claim that they make the strongest affordable motors but it takes more than that. so first we need to have all the bikes checked out, have them all dynoed on the same a couple of times over a few days so there is no crying that so and so bike was dynoed in the morning so it pulled more. then they need to be dragged down the streat, then down hard dirt road and loose dirt road then sand without paddals then with the paddals, all in a controlled enviroment. then they need to be trail ridden, then desert ridden to see heat performance and so on. then after all this abuse over about a 6 month period strip down the motors and check for damage. also all these motor builders need to open there books just to see how many failures they have had on there motors and what all they have done to fix the problems, you have to take into consideration cost, dependibility, customer service, available parts, power ,speed, operational under extreme weather hot/ cold. the track records of the builders you have to step back and look at the overall picture. the only way that the ds is gonna stay ontop is if the war stops on who makes the best motor and to get a team of builders together to make a motor that is stronger. its just like bigdaddy said there are so many yfz getting the big bore kits that they are cheap, instead of all of us spending our money in 50 different builders we should concentrate on whichever one is actualy is the best that way the price is affordable for everyone. you tell me what is more expensive 100 lbs of corn seed or to buy it by the ton. why do you think bombardier moved to mexico cheaper labor. the price for parts on these motors have alot of room to come way down. if you only produce 15 parts at a time sure they are gonna be high , there has to be some kind of mass production to get the ball rolling in the rite direction so that every ds owner that wants to go fast can afford to without having to wait 3 months for replacement parts and the worry of braking down. test all the motors not just for a weekendbut for six months if i was a motor builder every event i went to i would have a fresh motor so i made strung showings. we all need to get on the same page with each other without taking the choices away.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Is the 730 kit worth the $$$$