CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Is the 730 kit worth the $$$$

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 05:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the 730 kit worth the $$$$

How do you know if its worth it if you dont compare prices. What does the big bore kit include. Oh we are already big bores, I mean bigger bore kits. Is that jug piston or porting or valves. I dont know about the rest of you but price vs increase is what Im looking at. Oh yea my DS might be slower but it looks better and while you are being a star at the drag stip your girl is looking at my chrome and she said she likes it when I go slow. LOL

Old 12-19-2005, 05:04 AM
Pro Rider

All jokes aside who can list some price comparisons

Old 12-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

I hear you MrMeaner,
My next MOD would involve cracking the case as I have gotten the most bang I can out of external mods.
So the down to earth question which I think you stated
"How much is it going to cost me" & "How much of a gain can I expect ?" really applies it is 1,500, 1,700, 2,000 to make the next jump and gain say 10 to> 12 hp ?
Are we talking one house payment or two ? and from what I read the gains to be found with the 730 kit is well worth it through out the power band. I think that question has been answered for me : - ).
Though I get the feeling its like my friends 686 Raptor upgrade he just did. "Well since we have the engine apart and your going with a bigger higher compression piston you might as well get some head porting done, go with bigger valves, and stronger springs, beef up the clutch O and tuning can't forget Dyno tuning to make it all work in harmony. Then your all set.
Interesting though that my Raptor friend now has trouble putting all that new found power to use ! As the Raptors short wheel base needs to be extened... cause I keep beating him up and down the dunes on run after run. Not that strictly racing up the dunes matters but it sure does feel good to have enough time to turn around and wave back down at him : - )

Old 12-19-2005, 02:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Again, the mods you make early on are going to give you the best bang for your buck because you will NOTICE the biggest gains and they will be percentagewise. It is a perception thing. The later mods after you already have a bike that rips will seem disappointing. The exception to this is if you leave a glaring bottle neck like a full race port job but leave stock valves and cams. Obviously you won't see most of the gains your race port yields until you open up these other areas to match.

Regarding the 730 kit, if you install it on a stock motor with just a few bolt-ons (carb, pipe, intake) you will see anywhere from a 25% - 33% power increase depending on the dyno you use because the 730 kit will add 10 to 11 hp to a motor that dynos anywhere from 34 to 47 hp. Is $1,700 plus some labor time worth that kind of increase? I think so. If you install it on a full on race motor that is already making about 70 hp and has high compression already, you will only see about an average of 6 hp which is about an 8% gain. $1700 plus some labor? Not worth it to as many people in this application.

Your early mods will gain you several bike lengths. Your later mods will cost just as much but will add fractions of a bike length...... with a few exceptions.

If you just want to embarrass YFZ450's and 4mil stroker banshee's, Build a race motor on stock bore and use the money you would have spent on the 730 kit to reduce rotating mass and a dry NOS system. If you want the most comfortable, tractable duner, buy the 730 kit. You will love it.

If you want to run with Sandbomber or Mr. HP or 222, you will not get that done on stock bore or a 730 kit. I might be wrong, but i don't think even Choose's setup would keep up with them even with a 730 kit added to his package.......... (crap, I probably just started something with that one.....)

Bang for the buck is the most relative thing in the world that is almost completely defined by individual perception. Good Luck.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MrMeaner
How do you know if its worth it if you dont compare prices. What does the big bore kit include. Oh we are already big bores, I mean bigger bore kits. Is that jug piston or porting or valves. I dont know about the rest of you but price vs increase is what Im looking at. Oh yea my DS might be slower but it looks better and while you are being a star at the drag stip your girl is looking at my chrome and she said she likes it when I go slow. LOL
I'm with you Meaner[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I don't care who can beat me as long as mine looks better on the sidelines.

Old 12-19-2005, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

well said DSNUT

Old 12-20-2005, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

I saw first hand at Aledo a couple of years ago 222 run his DS with the stroker crank and I beleive it was a 720 maybe. That quad had a short swingarm with a wheely bar and it was so strong out of the hole I was amazed. I also saw Choose at the river and it came out harder. My DS is no terd but that Spider bike comes out sooooo hard its unbeleivable. He had me by 3 or 4 before I changed gears. Thats with no wheeley bar. I wouldnt bet the house against Choose and the Spider bike. I think it will be fun to watch. I just need to get Choose some wrist straps LOL. I dont really want to get into a my dad can beat your dad up just sharing my observations. Watch Mr HP and the Bomb also. Good racing

Old 12-20-2005, 02:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Mr. Meaner,

You responded to the only sentence fragment in my post that was not related to this thread. I knew when I wrote it, that I shouldn't have written it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

What Choose has created is nothing short of amazing. I think if he broke down and abandoned the stock motor with bolt-on's identity and installed a killer motor setup like the other guys I mentioned, he would be at the top of the podium right now. As it is these other guys are running the hot motors and every time they drag out their bikes they have inched closer to Choose's weight. That was a side point that I really didn't intend to make. I bet my setup makes a solid 10 hp more than the spiderbike, but I couldn't get within 10 lengths of him in 300'. That compliments my belief that if you only have $10k to buy and build a DS for sand drags only, I wouldn't spend money on the 730 kit. I would go Choose's route in a heartbeat rather than mine. If you had that same $10k and you wanted an awsome duner that would also turn a few heads on the race hill, I would spend some of my money on a 730 kit.

If you have unlimited resources, you would go as big as you could if your endgame was to hold the fastest time sheet.

BTW, the 730 kit comes with a nikasil coated cast cylinder that is 105.5mm. It includes a light weight piston, your choice of compression up to 13.5:1. It includes a 3 layer metal head gasket and a fast break-in set of rings for $1699.

Later

Old 12-20-2005, 07:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DSNUT
Mr. Meaner,

You responded to the only sentence fragment in my post that was not related to this thread. I knew when I wrote it, that I shouldn't have written it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

What Choose has created is nothing short of amazing. I think if he broke down and abandoned the stock motor with bolt-on's identity and installed a killer motor setup like the other guys I mentioned, he would be at the top of the podium right now. As it is these other guys are running the hot motors and every time they drag out their bikes they have inched closer to Choose's weight. That was a side point that I really didn't intend to make. I bet my setup makes a solid 10 hp more than the spiderbike, but I couldn't get within 10 lengths of him in 300'. That compliments my belief that if you only have $10k to buy and build a DS for sand drags only, I wouldn't spend money on the 730 kit. I would go Choose's route in a heartbeat rather than mine. If you had that same $10k and you wanted an awsome duner that would also turn a few heads on the race hill, I would spend some of my money on a 730 kit.

If you have unlimited resources, you would go as big as you could if your endgame was to hold the fastest time sheet.

BTW, the 730 kit comes with a nikasil coated cast cylinder that is 105.5mm. It includes a light weight piston, your choice of compression up to 13.5:1. It includes a 3 layer metal head gasket and a fast break-in set of rings for $1699.

Later

Very well said. Looks like someone has seen the light.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

PS: I didnt know that HPR had a representative in Oregon too, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-20-2005, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

Like chooses bike, its real lite been on a diet. but if you are a dragger that weighs in at over 300 litening the bike and adding bolt ons is not realy gonna help you. shoot if i could shave an extra ten pounds off of the bike i would slap that ten pounds around my waiste with a huge filet minyone steak, baked potato with extra sour cream and about3 lbs of fried green tomatos. . if you are a big rider that likes to compete then a 730 is rite for you . it all depends on what you like Some people like mercedez benz and its worth the extra money to them, i like my old ford truck it all boils down to is what you like. choose and i have gone in completely different directions . he started with shaving and bolt ons where i went straight motor with some shaving to come once he gets here. he has alot of work to do once he gets here[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Is the 730 kit worth the $$$$