CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Valves - brands, types, stainless, ti, ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valves - brands, types, stainless, ti, ??

Originally posted by: THEBOM
If the stock last longer, and are stronger what are the benefits to the titanium?[/quote]

They are much lighter, it lets the high lift cams open and shut the valves faster!![/quote]

So... I can change the cam timing with Ti valves?

Old 12-30-2005, 03:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 222
Originally posted by: THEBOM
If the stock last longer, and are stronger what are the benefits to the titanium?
They are much lighter, it lets the high lift cams open and shut the valves faster!![/quote]

So... I can change the cam timing with Ti valves?
222[/quote]

you said it yourself 222, the lighter valves allow for weaker springs, thereby allowing faster and easier rev since the cams do not have as much spring pressure to overcome. i'd imagine that's all thebom was refering to.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ScoobyDFW
once you start doing custom valve jobs, if you ever bend a valve it can be a hassle to replace. you're stuck with the supplier who did the work originally. if you're keeping stock size valves with no porting around the seats just stay with stock valves.

I use stock valves. If I bend one, nothing needs to be done to get the new stock valve to seat properly.

Very good point - we are now at the bottom of it all - my question is answered - let me just sum it all up:

Stock valves cost so much cause they are oem, and oem prices always hurt. aftermarkets are cheaper for the part, but require more labor due to the differing grind angle, and more hassles in the longrun due to the custom labor.
So basically, its 6 of one, and a half dozen of the other.

And as far as getting labor done right, I am a machinist on a modest level in my line of work as an Industrial Maintenance Tech, and I use lathes and milling machines regularly but have not the technical training or appropriate tooling for headwork, however I do completely understand everything that needs done and I am totally qualified to find a suitable machinist to do this work relatively easily since I work in Indianapolis and deal with local machinists for all the work we cannot do in house, and believe me there are many many to choose from between here and Gasoline Alley. BUT, along the lines of what MrHP and 222 are saying, alot of people would not necesarily be able to get the work done correctly, and that's where shops like theirs, and THEBOM's, and RWR come into play. If you want hassle free work done, consider your more experienced options.

Thanks very much to everybody for their input on this!! I will stay with stock valves, for the hassle free reasons mentioned by Scooby and MrHP!!

Old 12-30-2005, 05:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 222
Originally posted by: Hightower
black nitride coated stainless from kibblewhite, $22 each

http://www.blackdiamondvalves.com/se...ke=9&CatName=2

boys it looks like I smell a racket with these $70 valves, correct me if I'm wrong but it seems rediculous.
I would really like some of these $22 valves, but they told me they that part # for stock size valves was $57.82 each??
Help
yes I know a guy that gets stainless KW for $22, and another guy told me he gets Ti for $50. Granted this is just what I am told by these people, but it sounds like you need a new supplier.

Old 12-30-2005, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

oh please, hook me up!!!

Old 12-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

why man, I thought you had ALL the answers?

Old 12-30-2005, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

but my question was answered with $57!! not $22- I like it when someone else has better answers

Old 12-31-2005, 11:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I was thumbing around the microfiche, and I am surprised to find that stock oem valves from bomb dealer are $35 for intake, $56 for exhaust. not nearly as bad as I expected for oem.
anybody know why the exhaust cost more, even though they are smaller? just curious...

Old 12-31-2005, 12:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Just curious, why would you buy the OEM valves when you can get stainless from your guy much cheaper?

Old 12-31-2005, 12:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hightower
Originally posted by: ScoobyDFW
once you start doing custom valve jobs, if you ever bend a valve it can be a hassle to replace. you're stuck with the supplier who did the work originally. if you're keeping stock size valves with no porting around the seats just stay with stock valves.

I use stock valves. If I bend one, nothing needs to be done to get the new stock valve to seat properly.

Very good point - we are now at the bottom of it all - my question is answered - let me just sum it all up:

Stock valves cost so much cause they are oem, and oem prices always hurt. aftermarkets are cheaper for the part, but require more labor due to the differing grind angle, and more hassles in the longrun due to the custom labor.
So basically, its 6 of one, and a half dozen of the other.

I never really said I have a guy, I simply did a quick search on the internet and found several distributors of several different brand valves, and also had several people respond to other posts I made on other forums other than this one asking the same questions. It wasn't hard to quickly find cheap sources for valves of all types, which naturally contributed to my raising of these questions. And my questions have been answered, which was the purpose for this post, in spite of it taking a rather sarcastic turn, which is absolutely no surprise to me at all.

Quick Reply: Valves - brands, types, stainless, ti, ??