CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

EFI Turbo BRP DS650 Dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 08:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI Turbo BRP DS650 Dyno results

I finally got my dyno run printouts scanned into my computer.

I have a 2004 BRP DS650 with a KMS Performance EFI Turbo kit installed. The engine has NOT been opened and the kit is ALL bolt on parts. I run about 5lbs of boost on AvGas. I also have a Vortex CDI unit installed.

I have a one tooth larger front sprocket installed and run 22" ITP v-paddles. I can go from 15 mph to 55 mph in 3rd gear with no "lugging". The throttle respone is smooth and there is no noticable "turbo lag" as the turbo is mounted just outside the exhaust port.

The lower dyno run, 64 HP & 53 ft-pds of torque, is with a straight pipe with a cone shaped megaphone. I had Kelly install a silencer with a spark arrestor and he updated the computer with his most recent improvements. He then put it on the dyno to check out the mapping before getting it back to me.

As you will see, I'm getting 72 max HP and 57 ft-pds of torque. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

HP Dyno printout

EFI Turbo Bomb DS650 - max torque

(For some reason, the torque printout is lighter. The next time I go by KMS Performance, I'll try to get a darker printout of the torque reading.)

Old 12-23-2005, 09:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Congratulations. So, you are still running the stock piston and valve springs then right?

I think the turbo's are the ultimate setup for a serious dune/hillshooter/play combination. Just too much lag for the way that I ride, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-23-2005, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

nice,where did you get that kit azsand.

Old 12-23-2005, 10:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Very nice numbers. Congrads!!

Old 12-23-2005, 04:29 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: DSWOLF
nice,where did you get that kit azsand.
www.kmsperformance.com

Old 12-23-2005, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

BAD AZZ!! Congrats

Old 12-23-2005, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

According to KMS website, you are supposed to have 85 hp and 65lbs torque for the DS. Sup with your numbers?

Old 12-23-2005, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

Everything is still stock inside, the motor has never been opened. In a couple of years I plan on upgrading the valves and getting a piston to enhance the performance, but thatt will be down the road.

I DON'T hill race or sand drag this bike!!! I don't even hang out at the hill or sanddrags much, maybe for an hour at a time at the most. I spend most of my time duning this bike, and I ride agressively. There is NO lag and I rarely even have to down shift. Our type of riding is sharp, quick turns and in smaller bowls, so quick acceleration is neccessary to keep ride speeds up.

I promised to put this info up referene to my post in the "stirring the pot" topic. I feel this kit is the best performance mod for the money without opening up the engine. Also, keeping the boost low will allow me to keep most of the stock dependability, as long as I do frequent oil changes, which is no problem. The great thing is since the kit is all bolt on, I can put the quad back to stock if needed to sell it and put the kit on the newer DS. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] (i I can get my wife to ok that [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] .)

Old 12-23-2005, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LowRecoil
According to KMS website, you are supposed to have 85 hp and 65lbs torque for the DS. Sup with your numbers?

Thats with a higher amount of boost, I think 7 lbs or 10 lbs. I didn't want to boost my engine that much as I want to keep more of the stock dependability. It is real simple to increase the boost if I need that much HP, but I wouldn't know what to do with that much HP anyway [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ;D .

Old 12-23-2005, 08:30 PM
H
Pro Rider

Nice #'s from a bolt on bike[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: EFI Turbo BRP DS650 Dyno results