CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Boss Noss?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boss Noss?

Originally posted by: 650VIPER
Very good points Marky. I also believe what your saying about reinvesting in the market. I also believe in investing in the future of my friends. Most of the people that are on this forum I consider my friends. That is why I tell them what system i like. Now by the sounds of it my man, some congradulations are in order, or is it just simply your buying a noss setup?
Jed, we will always be friends. I have no idea where I will land, I've met with a lot of people and companies last week. My guess is that something will surface in a few weeks if not before. But after working at boonies for 2 months, I realized the future for ATVs wasnt with them. Thats not a bad thing for them, just a bad thing for me! Im still running my boonies until I can try the Boss. And I'll probably keep it (so you guys dont even ask - LOL) and compare head to head.

As far as the sled riding, We went on a lot of groomed trails and some open fields. I got that thing up to 73 mph and got skeeerd! The most eye opening event was when I was out in one of those open fields, going about 65mph, and noticed a 2 foot wide hole that went down about 3 feet - I was going so fast all I could do was keep both skis on either side of it - I thought for sure I was gonna drop in it - but I ended up going right over it - and nothing happened. I also did some hill climbing too. I learned that trees are like big gravity wells - The sled just got sucked up with the deep powder near the base of one tree and I got stuck. So I dismounted and the snow was clear up to my family jewels! About 15 minutes later I got it out - what a work out - Im still sore!

I thought that the Poos went pretty good for being a 600. I cant imagine what the those 800's would be like with Nitrous!

Old 01-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss Noss?

Originally posted by: DragonDJ11
If the biggest problem is hiding the box, then oh darn.... lol

Marky, Boons system had issues when it is really hot, and all I can find in my research of Boss is that they have no problems with cold. How will thier regulation help in the heat? I think I am sold on that system myself. Of course I would still think you would need to make sure your jetting is right on or you could still have issues, is that correct?
Jim told me that they are good to go up to (and I am not exactly sure) but like 110 degrees! Possibly more. You always have to make sure your jetting is correct on your carb, just like boondocker. But you wont have to re-tune the nitrous with a manometer on the Boss. Its important to know another reasons why the Boss system is better in high temps...

1) Solinoids have a hard time opening at pressures above 1500 psi. If you add heat to that, you better believe you will be way above that. Solinoids can also be damaged by extreme pressure. Boondocker did end up replacing sand45's solinoid that got damaged at Sand Mountain. If the pressure is regulated down, then the solinoid doesnt have to work as hard to open - so the stuck shut on solinoids isnt a problem on the Boss system.

2) Boss's regulated nitrous doesnt even allow high pressures to enter the system. So, not only do you not have issues with the solinoid, you dont have issues with it over-compensating for the air pressure to the carb, since it uses no air pressure to the carb - it uses a fuel pump.

Again, the work around is to keep the bottle cool with the boondocker system - that means a larger CF bottle. Boondocker and BOSS both have them. Im not sure what the size options are at Boss for the CF bottles, but at Boony's you have the choice of 2.9lb and 4.0lb CF bottles.

Now, you should know that there has been a change to the fuel supply on the Boss system. They used to tap into the fuel line from the gas tank to the carb and take fuel from that line. While this was fine for the rated bursts, for those that wanted to run longer, there was a possibility that the carb would run dry. So, they changed that so now there is an extra fuel tap into the gas tank itself. This line then goes directly into the Smart Box.

Thats all I know on that issue. I can call Derreck there on Monday if you guys have any more questions.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss Noss?

Greatn info Marky. Thanks man

Old 01-16-2006, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Boss Noss?

Marky, ya them there trees will swallow ya thats for sure. I have seen them new 600 poos run, and i'm impressed. Its still on my list of new drag sleds, as i'm in the market. However my 800 isnt on nitrous, neither of them are, so far I can get enough power from the motors to satisfy my needs, but that might change,lol. You have got to pull the trigger on this 1000 though, holy crap. Not one person has rode it and been able to stay on the gas, EVERYONE has lifted! Its incredible.

I surely do hope you find something good. Boss would be a good place, as thats closer to here. I also hope some people can run that system and let us know the ins and outs. Good luck my man, Jed.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss Noss?

Jed,

I want to pull the trigger on an 800, but I got other triggers to pull first. Gonna be back down in Utah again tomorrow.

PS - Still surprised as heck how well the 600 pulled me. It had good ergonomics too - pretty well thought out - Hand warmers, foot warmers, throttle thumb warmer, reverse and you can go all day on a tank of gas. The only thing I thought was weird was how easily those roll from side to side - even on hard pack snow. Whats up with that?

Old 01-16-2006, 08:34 PM
amd
Pro Rider
Default Boss Noss?

Ok ODP. I was mistaken on what you were talking about. I thought you were talking about a diffrent company. OOPS!. LOL

Ok so I went and checked out this nitrous kit. I like thier thinking in their kits but some things scare me. The batteries for one. They say they last a season and dont give any problems . But to me it would bother me. Another is that fuel pump thing which uses the pressure from the bottle to fill the chamber with a check valve (which I would hope never fails). Another thing I noticed that bothered me was it injects fuel and N20 in two diffrent places. To me that is very inconsistent. Now I do like the fact of the regulater, That is a good Idea. I didnt read anywhere that says what pressure it regulates to.? I dont see anyway to moniter fuel with this kit. With a fogger that mixes the N20 and the fuel at the nozzle (IE Wet Kit). You are able to moniter fuel pressure very easily. With the boondockers as you know it doesnt use any sort of fuel pump for the fuel supply, It uses just the bottle pressure to pressurize the bowl, So there is really no need to moniter fuel on it. But with this one way check valve and the fuel pump the uses the pressure from the bottle to push a piston inside of it. As with anything this can fail and you wouldnt now it. That is unless the controller can dectect this and not send any fuel and N20 into the motor. But I didnt read anything on that?

Again these are just my opinions. If I could get one cheap I would try it out and see how well it works though. I am glad though to see a company put some R&D into some N20 for the use of ATV's. And they are trying to keep it as simple as possible with this kit. To me the price is another concerning factor. Non of these ATV systems should be over $300 with a bottle. The companies are really making a killing on one sale, cause there isnt that much component wise that costs that much.

At least there are diffrent systems to choose from out there. I guess.

Old 01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss Noss?

Amd, good points. I was told the fuel pump has to cycle, which means it can only be held for so long then it shuts down. Now I was also told that if the fuel shuts down it shuts the nitrous down, but I heard of a few of there early systems burning sleds up holding the button to long and the fuel shut off. They might have changed that.

Marky, heck if your coming down this way swing in or call I'll take ya to lunch or something.

Old 01-16-2006, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss Noss?

OH and Mark, them sleds act like a snowboard in powder. You turn the other direction to go the other way, that dont make sence. But yes in pow they are real floaty, thats what makes them so fun, the ease of throwing them around. All the 600 class sleds get good mileage. The skidoo gets by far the best mileage of any sled, comparable to the vector. The next best thing is the grand, as long as you keep your thumb from pressing to hard.

Old 01-16-2006, 09:06 PM
amd
Pro Rider
Default Boss Noss?

Yea I forgot to mention that. They say you can hold the button down for 10 sec. followed by a 2 sec. refactory period. Fuel has to be filled up which takes about 2 seconds to do. So for those running the hill, it sounds like you wont be able to use it from start to finish.

Old 01-16-2006, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss Noss?

Originally posted by: amd
Ok ODP. I was mistaken on what you were talking about. I thought you were talking about a diffrent company. OOPS!. LOL

Ok so I went and checked out this nitrous kit. I like thier thinking in their kits but some things scare me. The batteries for one. They say they last a season and dont give any problems . But to me it would bother me. Another is that fuel pump thing which uses the pressure from the bottle to fill the chamber with a check valve (which I would hope never fails). Another thing I noticed that bothered me was it injects fuel and N20 in two diffrent places. To me that is very inconsistent. Now I do like the fact of the regulater, That is a good Idea. I didnt read anywhere that says what pressure it regulates to.? I dont see anyway to moniter fuel with this kit. With a fogger that mixes the N20 and the fuel at the nozzle (IE Wet Kit). You are able to moniter fuel pressure very easily. With the boondockers as you know it doesnt use any sort of fuel pump for the fuel supply, It uses just the bottle pressure to pressurize the bowl, So there is really no need to moniter fuel on it. But with this one way check valve and the fuel pump the uses the pressure from the bottle to push a piston inside of it. As with anything this can fail and you wouldnt now it. That is unless the controller can dectect this and not send any fuel and N20 into the motor. But I didnt read anything on that?

Again these are just my opinions. If I could get one cheap I would try it out and see how well it works though. I am glad though to see a company put some R&D into some N20 for the use of ATV's. And they are trying to keep it as simple as possible with this kit. To me the price is another concerning factor. Non of these ATV systems should be over $300 with a bottle. The companies are really making a killing on one sale, cause there isnt that much component wise that costs that much.

At least there are diffrent systems to choose from out there. I guess.

Ok lets address your points...

1) Batteries: Personally, I feel fine with the batteries. Fewer electrical connections to fail is probably a good thing. There are some that just hate batteries I guess - I use them all the time in my GPS and I dont have a problem with batteries - Boonies had to come up with a rectifier to massage the current and voltage because it was inconsistant and screwed up the solinoids. They could have put a rectifier in there, like boondocker did, but you still have to address the masses on this - some of them dont like electrical connections. For builders, perhaps thats something that can be looked at. Ive seen electrical connections fail, and when it doesnt shoot gas, and you are left with nitrous because of a bad electrical connection, well need I say more. Again, my belief is that is probably solves more problems then it creates.

2) Fuel Pump: First of all, the only way to get a consistant hit of gas is to have a pump. The boonies system uses nitrous pressure that generated from the top of the "blow" of the nitrous shot. The only problem with that is when the nitrous pressures get too high - high heat situations. Then you are over pressure, less nitrous, and more fuel, which equals a rich condition. As far as check valves, quite a few of the Boonies systems uses them for sleds. I had not seen one fail on thier systems. But its possible. I believe the warranty on the BOSS system is huge. 1-2 years Im pretty sure - that beats Boonies at 90 days.

3) Button Time: Both systems (boonies and Boss) have a limit on the length of time you can hold the button. Boonies is 7 seconds, (because of a risk of empting the float bowl) I dont know what the Boss is, but I think Jed mentioned it was longer. For really long drags, you'll need longer shots. Again, for most consumers, this kit meets thier needs. However, for the builder class, perhaps there is something different for longer shots that can be developed. The nice thing about the BOSS, is if you go over the time, Im pretty sure it shuts down the entire system. With boonies, you would just go lean when the float bowl is empty.

4) Nitrous Injection: There are some folks that simply like one type of system over another. Personally, I dont mind the nitrous being injected well before the carb. Why? The carb acts like a natural gate keeper. If its closed, then you dont have a problem when you want to use it - launch with it, shift with it, there are no restrictions. Thats not true when you inject the nitrous in the intake manifold - because the gate is gone. The reason why there are two places, one for nitrous, one for gas, is for most consumers they want it to be safe on thier motor. By putting some distance between the two, you start with fuel and then nitrous - there are a lot less issues with a lean situation. Why start with a lean hit? Boonies and Boss both use this type of concept. Im for it.

Quick Reply: Boss Noss?