CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Who to have Port Your head???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who to have Port Your head???

Originally posted by: DragonDJ11
Based on everything I have read with porting seems to be onesided. In that you either port for the low-mid, or the mid-high. Only once on a website hae I read that they say you can have your cake and eat it to. Know I would take it, that allred hit on that a little? I am guessing the portion of opening up the flow, but not so much you lose velosity? Can anyone expand on the statement that I CAN have my cake, AND eat it to?

The port is either right or wrong. Low, mid and high is controlled by cams and exhaust. Once a cylinder head is right it does not care what size motor it is setting on unless the valves wont fit the bore or something obvious like that.

Old 01-31-2006, 09:44 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by: 222
[i]
That is a possibility....But As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil....
whew, thanks- I needed that. you are right. I'm having a spell, I'll get back in a little bit when I'm over it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

222[/quote]

lol

Old 01-31-2006, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MisterHP
Originally posted by: DragonDJ11
Based on everything I have read with porting seems to be onesided. In that you either port for the low-mid, or the mid-high. Only once on a website hae I read that they say you can have your cake and eat it to. Know I would take it, that allred hit on that a little? I am guessing the portion of opening up the flow, but not so much you lose velosity? Can anyone expand on the statement that I CAN have my cake, AND eat it to?

The port is either right or wrong. Low, mid and high is controlled by cams and exhaust. Once a cylinder head is right it does not care what size motor it is setting on unless the valves wont fit the bore or something obvious like that.
So does that bring us back to lift and duration more then anything?

Old 01-31-2006, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

For the first time in several weeks I am at the top of Page1- I've not been able to get past page 3 for a long time!

I have to read or write while waiting on hold or waiting for a report to pull up or etc..., so lately I've only been getting about 15 minutes a day.

For those whose mind is made up, please save yourself the pain, and go on to the next post - it'll make me feel better. For those who are asking (publicly, I might add....), I'll assume you are friend and try to talk like you're sitting accross from me.

So, lets do this one brain drizzle at a time, so I don't get confused!

First things first, I'm going to be careful, and if I'm not, somebody give me a shout and get me back there.

Someone has eloquently stated that it won't do any good to just dump answers- how can someone discern if they are even right- the best thing for me is when someone makes me think it through, and the best teacher(s) I've had in life knew the answers to my questions I asked, but answered me with another question. Now, if I ask you if it is round or square - just give me the answer! - that's easily proved as right or wrong.

Second, there is a little hp in a better piston design, and a some in a better cam, exhaust, intake, carb, etc......but the power of an engine is in the cylinder head - and that is where I think the best, the good, and the bad are separated on the track. There is more power to be gained or lost here than any other place. Someone also eloquently stated that we have to be careful- the competition can close the gap real quick if we talk "too much".

First question: what separated the first 60hp ported DS we took to Aledo many years ago to get this HPR adventure started from my 65hp TT bike (the one that showed up at all the races looking like it had been through war- and I liked it that way!) that went to Aledo the next year, from the final evolution of Eric's Genesis 70hp?

All of these were single carb and stock bores- other than adding twin Lectrons for 76hp, I guess that's where we stopped with stock bores and went on to the Big Bores (some of the competitors big bore NOS stuff was getting too close for comfort to our stock bores!!).

I honestly believe (no, wait, in my mind- I know this) if someone put one of these new cylinder heads on a stock bore, they would beat Eric's Genesis numbers considerably. But, everybody is putting the high dollar heads on big bores. Whoa... what did I just say? There is going to be a good question someone is going to ask - [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] who will ask it first?

Hey, this aint so bad, it's kinda fun (so far!),
OK, it's way after hours, and this was a nice diversion- I'm going to the HOUSE!

Old 01-31-2006, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

dragon that is you try to stick to one builder for your porting and cams since they know what works together. you could at my photo page at my dyno results and see the good ole boys from the hills know what they are doing.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-31-2006, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

222, i do have a question. is it possible to re-port? i know if its to small u can go bigger, but is there a way to patch up and re-port? i knew some of the drag-bike builders in the IHRA did this for test purposes, but i didnt know if it could be done for a person who had it ported two years ago and with the new R&D would like to upgrade?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-31-2006, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: flyinds
dragon that is you try to stick to one builder for your porting and cams since they know what works together. you could at my photo page at my dyno results and see the good ole boys from the hills know what they are doing.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I have no doubt that they good 'ol boys have this down. I myself am not trying to figure out who is going to do this (I have that figured already, but until it is done, only I know) but more about learning what is being done. No I am not looking for the secreat formula that they have spent many hours and dollars in creating. I am simply someone that now hates the fact they did not take auto shop in high school and trying to put together a very large puzzle so that I might understand why I want one piece over another. No offence to any builder out there on here or not, but I believe one thing with blind faith.....I am simply a student of the game in this aspect.

Old 01-31-2006, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: thebigshow
222, i do have a question. is it possible to re-port? i know if its to small u can go bigger, but is there a way to patch up and re-port? i knew some of the drag-bike builders in the IHRA did this for test purposes, but i didnt know if it could be done for a person who had it ported two years ago and with the new R&D would like to upgrade?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Yes it can be welded and re-ported , however I have heard that it is pricey to do so.

Old 01-31-2006, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

Old 01-31-2006, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: crazypainter

Yes it can be welded and re-ported , however I have heard that it is pricey to do so.
I believe epoxy can be used in some places too

Quick Reply: Who to have Port Your head???