CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Who to have Port Your head???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who to have Port Your head???

Jed,

I got a brand new holesaw set for X-mas. Bring it on over and we'll really open up them ports for ya. Heck I will even do it fer free. If you bring me a apple pie and ice cream, I will show you how to really make that thing fast with my top secret crank bearing mod. I always did think they made those there bearings way to tight!!

Let me know what ya think K?

Old 01-22-2006, 01:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Demon,

That is the best advice I've heard all night. Excellent![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-22-2006, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

I did everyting at once. HPR porting, valves, cams, piston & pipe. I already had the lectron & end cap. So I can't say what just the porting did, but the whole combo works great. It's best to have someone that understands how the bomb head flows & the cams your going to run.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

I hate to say this but On Dunes Performance was the first to really promote the 1mm oversize valve and head porting as a valid form of the race head. Valid because the horsepower increase was nearly exactly the same or better than larger valve race heads at about 1/2 the cost. So, you guys should check with Sandbomer to see if he is still offering it.

I had quite a few done, even had it done on my EX. The other choices are KMS (who did the same thing to Scatterbrains DS) or direct with HPR.

In a 1mm oversize valve set up, you are machining out the existing valve pocket to accommodate the larger valves. Other people are actually replacing the valve seat, which nearly doubles, or triples the cost of the race head. I've not seen any difference in horsepower between the two. However, you have to have a really good person to port. 80% of the performance value is in the porting itself. Get a bad port job and you might as well go back to stock.

Old 01-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Demon, your on man!! I have a really agressive 2 1/4 one, will that be ok, I can bring it with me? I like the sounds of the bearing mod, I tried to do something similar at the dunes once, left my filter off for a while, along with the oil dip stick, man did she sure rip after that, ooohhhhh boooyyy!

Duneme, keep us posted on his build. I posted this so people that are looking to get this done, can get some more input from everyone that might have had theres done. Myself included in that. By the way, do you think if I ship you a stock axle, Meaner would notice the difference?lol

Dsnut, I run a somewhat agressive cam. Of course thats relative to whom you ask. I dont think my head or carb can flow enough to make these things shine yet, so thats were were at. HPR 5 Nitrous cams.

Marky, please post your thoughts here. I will be happy to call you, which I will probably do anyhow, but just for everyone else. You have been in the game along time and I think most people resepct your input.

Now for a short story. Now this in on two stroke snowmobiles, but porting is porting. I have had some porting work done on an engine of mine by a guy that was well respected, he charged me alot less than most, had my motor done in one day, and I was on my way. I was a happy camper, it had more power, and ran good. Then down the road, I decided to have another motor done, this time I chose a guy that I raced with. He charged well over two times what the other guy did, but swore I would be more than happy about his work. Well guess what, I now regret selling the sled that had the cheap guys porting in it, because after I found out how much more there was available in a really good port job, that machine would have ripped, and I would have won alot more races.

So my moral: cheap to me does not mean good. Fast turn around to me does not mean good. I know that all this is relative to what your budget is, but if one cost seven hundred to do that gives you 7 horse, or one that costs a grand to have 11 horse, you need to choose what you want. I want to do this once, and go fast. But on the other token, dont want to pay for the great guys porting, and get the good guys.

Old 01-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

So if you've got a basic Stage 1 done:
Carb either 46V or TM45
Good pipe CT, HPR end cap, HMF ect.
Intake port matched to the carb.
running no airbox, ect.......

Is anyone seeing/claiming more than a 15-17HP increase by adding High compresion piston, cams and ported head with 1 size larger valves, or is that a good # to shoot for?

Pick any builder and your going to be into that at least $1,400. The port work is the most drastic cost difference from builder to builder so again is 16-17HP a good # for that upgrade or are some getting more than that for the much higher cost of porting???

At some point the $/HP gain gets a little out of control for me seems like 1HP/$100 is about average on a DS, of course until you talk nitrous!

Old 01-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

Good point Nate. Like he said, from a stage one to three, is 17hp the number to look for? How about a stage two to three?

Also, whats some numbers the stage three bikes are putting out right now?

Old 01-22-2006, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

My stage 3 puts out a little over 63 with a woods full pipe, a little less woth in0frame drag pipe but a lot flatter curve. Thats with web109's, tm 45, woods intake and CDI, and a 14-1 piston. Thats on a dyno that puts a stocker at 44hp. Might have gotten mid to upper 60's with a better ported intake and more agressive cams along with a tm or HV48 carb.

Old 01-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Crazy.

It strikes me as odd I have yet heard from a Builder. I have noticed them on here, so wtf.

Old 01-22-2006, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe the builders are afraid to say anything for fear of being accused of soliciting without being a sponsor[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Just my $.02

Quick Reply: Who to have Port Your head???