CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Who to have Port Your head???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who to have Port Your head???

Originally posted by: 650VIPER
Bigshow, how did the duals compare to the 48hv?
the first time i dynoed my duals the best i could get out of them was around 63, i came back later after i bought the lectron 48 and let phil mechanic tune on them and they made 71....my lectron actually made less peak h.p.. but the duals had a VERY narrow power band compared to the lecton. The lectrons power curve started at around 4500 rpm and made very nice curve to a little over 9000rpm...very usable drag power...where the duals didnt come on untill the around 6500 to 7000 and it was very peaky...Now take this with a grain of salt, a expirenced tuner might have gotten a way better curve out of them, we just didnt have the skill to do it..im sure there was alot of potential we wernt getting out of the duals......but for the on the bike comparison, actually i didnt think there was one, the lectron would actually almost pull the bars out of your hands, it comes on RIGHT NOW!!!! lol...hope that helped...

Old 01-25-2006, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You bet it did. I have been looking at going to duals with the porting. I rode Dunemes 760 with fcr's and it ran great. I would like to just upgrade to the 48, but am looking at doing dual 38 lectrons from Eric. So maybe....... if its the design of the carb......... maybe they would give that good flat curve, and give a higher peak number. Hmmm, that man in the camo coat and glasses needs to get his pencil alittle sharper, this is starting to add up. Thanks Bigshow.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MisterHP
Here's some puzzling questions to ask about porting.

I wonder whats better about big valves? You would think the air would have a bigger obsticle to get around as it tries to get into and out of the chamber.

Do giant ports make more bottom end power or topend power? They usually seem to lose bottom end power I wonder why?

If a head has big ports shouldn't it have cams to match? If you got big ports you need big cams to get the most out of the porting right.

Is it possible to gain bottom and top end out of porting? How could that be possible?

What really causes an engine to gain power from porting? Shouldn't the porting be smaller to gain velocity and get the air in faster?
simple answer to most of your questions is more in + more air out=more ponies. Anytime this occures you make a more efficient motor (if you stick with same displacement) which means more horsepower.

Larger porting can increase hp top and bottom if the components you run can utilize the additional volume of air to its full efficiency. But if your tracks are too large you loose velocity and therefore the charge going into the chamber will slow causing more air to enter the head but at a slower rate. This typically gives you less torque.

Typically larger valves = increased surface area.

cams match porting...

porting should be done to suit the customer. If he/she wants a bottom end motor you adjust your configuration to accomidate him. Its like comparing a mx motor to a hill motor. That was kind of a silly question...

some of these questions were kind of repeatitive and honestly...pretty obvious. I wouldnt have replied if i didnt feel the members could benefit a little from the answers. If anybody has any questions you can PM me with your inquiries. Im not always around the bomb forum so i might miss some replies.

As for the original question stick to a builder that will treat you right and try to work with you. That is the only advice i can give.

Old 01-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

Good answer debeach, I couldn't agree more......

Old 01-26-2006, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey thanks Dabeech, and Ernie. Its always good to have an outsiders view.

Shmee, How long were those drags? 4-5 lengths in 300' is huge. Thanks.

Old 01-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dabeechman

No disrespect intended but none of those answers helped me at all. They were relative platitudes with nothing specific on how it works, why it works and what you do to make it work.

I know you know how porting works and what bigger valves do for us. How specifically do you create more cylinder pressure and improved VE with large ports at low rpm? The question assumes that the components match.

2nd question, why would you ever need valves that are larger than the smallest area in your port job? Would that be matched componentry?

Old 01-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

viper it was right under 400ft. it was the best mod i ever did. it seemed to make everything work together.
my father used to build motors for race sleds so i watched and learned.

dabeech has very good info.
pretty much what he said.

sorry if i dont go into detail with this issue. im not a big typer.

Old 01-26-2006, 04:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

DSnuts I had to join to say this you just dont get it guys who know this stuff dont want everyone to figure it out or they be out of work

give em a break[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 01-26-2006, 04:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Welcome back boat!! Yeah, I agree... Martha Stewart dont even give out her insider trading secrets!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 01-26-2006, 04:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

no disrespect taken. From the looks of your sig it seems as though you've spent a lot of money with hpr. You should really consider asking your builder since all of our theories will vary some. But you'll be hard pressed to find anybody that is willing to go into detail on the very specifics of what makes a motor run. If so you guys wouldnt neeed hpr, kenz, ect.

Quick Reply: Who to have Port Your head???