CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Who to have Port Your head???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 02:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who to have Port Your head???

The porting is the key to a good running motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its no secret that (hard1) Jeffs bike with the new port kicked my #s on the dyno and it showed on the hill. I was just lucky that ole blue stayed the course. My money is on that port job that he had and I want one soon. Going to be hard to match at the Planet in April. But hey if ya have faith in your builders port bring it and dont hide, step out and talk a little smack!!!! Come get U Some LOL

Old 01-28-2006, 02:38 AM
Range Rover

Porting is kinda like Heads-up Racing....Run what ya brung and hope ya brough enough, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 01-28-2006, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DSexpress
Porting is kinda like Heads-up Racing....Run what ya brung and hope ya brough enough, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

I agree with you....... You should show up to the Clash & run what ya brung. The clash is all about that & then some. We need the bombs to take home the trophy this year. The bombs have a trophy thanks to Sandbomber & HPR @ FSW5. '06 is going to be a good year for the bombs.

Old 01-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Gonna be a couple good years for flying pigs LOL

Old 01-30-2006, 10:16 PM
Range Rover

Ok, i'm not a common guy in here, but i love to read the posts when i have time. I also just happen to be an engine builder, and headporter. Yes, i'm very good at it too. I've been building pumpgas and some race motors for over ten years now. I prefer pumpgas because i really don't have a use for something i can't drive on the street, and it's much harder to build big power on pump gasoline. It's almost too easy if you throw enough compression and cylinder head at one. But, the biggest peak #'s is not always what someone needs, it really depends on the use of the engine. (understatement) I'm very very lucky to have the friends and mentors that i have in this business. I have worked at several machines shops in the past and i met a gem of a teacher some years ago.
I've been (what i consider to be) on the inside of the very subject this thread has gone on an on about, for a very long time. You ask "Who to have port Your Head?" Unfortunately, for the average guy, this is almost an un-answerable question, at least for any average guy. Simply because, you have choose to believe which ever answer you have been givin, so for most people, they will try to understand the subject (porting) in order to go with a givin answer. Example, ask the same question to someone like Warren Johnson?(NHRA Pro-Stock) Do you think he will struggle with the answer, or would it be easy for him? It would be very easy for him, yes? Why, because he already understands what it takes to properly shape ports to achieve more power. Ask the average guy to do the same, you might as well ask him to understand the complexities of Nuclear-Fision.
Basically, it takes time and dedication to learn these skills. If someone doesn't have the time or even the desire to achieve this, you can only understand so much. Let me tell you something, the reason the "Builders" are not in here chiming off about all the things they know, is because it takes a tremendous amount of knowledge to compete at the level, say "HPR" does. Example, when is the last time you've seen, or heard of someone like HendricksMotorSports, or Roush talking about the details of the lastest "IntakePort" for the next years race motor? YOU DON"T !!!
Belive it or not, this is highly sought after information, believe me. So, for the average guy, you will usually feel like you are on the outside looking in, so to speak. I have spoken in great detail about doing headwork for HPR, and when i found out the quality of the "port-Work" they sell, i was extremely impressed. It is impressive the lengths they go to, in order to obtain quality port-work. It is my professional opinion, that you can not find better port-work than from HPR, and no, i don't work for them.
I will give you guys a basic over-view into what you should be looking for when discussing portshape, and by the way, it really should be called port-shaping, not head porting. The most important thing an intake port can provide for an engine, is "Low-Lift Flow'. Remember this, it is the key to making any engine efficient. In the aftermarket, heads are rated off the peak flow numbers, but what people don't know, or even understand usually, is "Low-Lift Flow". From .100, .200, .300, .400 lift. It has the greatest impact on something called "Cylinder-Fill". Example, 2 engines have all the same parts, except the head. Peak flow is say, (250cfm@.700) on both heads, but head#1 has (190cfm@.300) and head#2 has (210cfm@.300). All else being equal, the engine with head#2 will make more power. Why? if they have the same cam, carb, intake manifold, headers, pistons, rods, etc.? Very simple answer, through-out the intake cycle the cylinder only sees "Peak-Lift" (.700) once. But, what you don't realize, is that it sees "Low-Lift Flow" twice. On the way there, and then back. Hopefully i have not lost you here. This should bring to mind something called "Average Port Flow". This is crucial.
Big Ports typically don't have favorable "Low-Lift Flow" #'s. Basic rule of thumb, make the ports move as much CFM at "ALL" lift points, not just the peak, while keeping the port as small as possable. Velocity is just as important as flow. These two aspects have more impact on power production than almost anything else. In the realm of port-shape. One could write a novel on the subject, believe me. As it looks like i have already done. (sorry[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img])
I noticed some inquiry on the subject of Valve size. The biggest restriction to a ports potential flow capability, is something called "Bowl-Circumfrence". Provided everything else in the port is shaped to work with a givin Bowl size, you can achieve greater flow numbers. So, if you install larger valves, you have more room for increased "Bowl-Circumfrence". Obviously this is limited by physical demensions such as chamber size, bore diameter, and actual wall-thickness in the port itself. But, there is something called "Valve-Shrouding" that has to be considered also. So, if the proper port work is not applied with over-sized valves, this will almost always result in a loss of port flow. I know this may sound hard to believe, but it's true. On most V8 heads, you can actually improve "Low-Lift Flow" just from properly reshaping the chambers. Remember "Valve-Shrouding"?
Basically, this is a very complex subject. Surtainly one that should be left to professionals. You guys asked, so you have gotten a completely unbias viewpoint (briefly)on this subject. You only have to do two things really, figure out how much you are truly willing to spend, and just exactly what type of "power" matches your riding environment and style. Then, call HPR and let them help you decide. You can not go wrong with letting them do your port work.
I hope this helps. Sorry for the typing, but i felt it was needed to make a valid point.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] If any of you guys have any tech related questions, i'd be happy to answer them as i have time. Good luck in your deciding "Who to Have Port Your Head".

Old 01-30-2006, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, that was great!!! It does help, to truely understand what is involved. I mean we don't need to know the details of the porting involved, but knowing and understanding what it truely does is helpful. Feel free to drop your insight anytime, and write as many "books" on here you want. I know some of us would like to read it.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I new that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] LOL

Old 01-30-2006, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

Good stuff![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-31-2006, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very good stuff indeed. Thanks Allred.

Old 01-31-2006, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: crazypainter
Maybe the builders are afraid to say anything for fear of being accused of soliciting without being a sponsor[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Just my $.02
Or ...it could be....Jesus tied to the whipping post taking his lashing comes to mind....what was it He did wrong again?

Can't decide whether to make zero posts on this or a 100.....maybe a few more conservative thought provoking questions....??

Allred- I'm trying to figure out who you are? You answered ALOT of the questions without giving away too much.

Quick Reply: Who to have Port Your head???