CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Who to have Port Your head???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who to have Port Your head???

Alright, I have been asked, and have asked as well, who to have port my head. I will be doing two of our machines this year, and I know of a few others that are looking to do theres Asap. So, this is for all of those that did not want to post about this, but want some answers.

Who did you decide to go with, why, what were the gains, and roughly how much was the cost?

Builders feel free to respond, but keep this civil, we just want facts? But feel free to tell why you think your job is better than the other guys, heck thats what we all want to know really!

This would include big valves as well.

Old 01-21-2006, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

650viper i went with hpr on my port job. i was going to have them port my head when i was talking to randall he had used head with about 10 hrs on it not full race port but close with 40/34 valves so i went with that. i have been totally happy with that. one thing that i believe is do everthing with one builder. as you can see on my photo page on my last dyno with hpr products surpassed my exceptation on the results.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2006, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

Flyinds, I see your chart. What was the difference in parts. Just the head porting or cams, piston and such?

Old 01-21-2006, 01:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Viper, I dont have the valves done on my stage 2.5 but Whatever biggersbetter or whoever bigger had port this motor might have done the trick. I think it cost him a few hundy maybe 200... But my motor is 25 hp over a stock ds on motor not fine tuned. Im sure its not ALL in the port work but maybe more than one would think. I have stock valves and valve springs.

Old 01-21-2006, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

Really!! Now thats what I'm talking about, PONIES!! Maybe Bigger will post here and let us all know his dirty little secrets,lol.

Old 01-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

650viper i can tell the diff in parts for the fact i did it all in one time i had the 46hv race port intake and end cap at 43 horsepower then to 14.1 hpr piston, ported head with 40/34 valves, hpr3 trail race cams and took off the air box and put on vortex cdi then went to 60 hp and might be getting some more power out of it.

Old 01-21-2006, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

Alright, so you seen about a 17hp increase over your prior setup? Everything included?

Trending Topics

Old 01-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Viper:

One of my buddies is having The Bom do his port work and go with one size larger valves. If I remember right, Marky had mentioned the one size larger thing as well. MUCH less expensive and plenty of flow for a stock bore engine. Sounds like a winner!

Ron Wood has impressive gains.

I don't have any first hand info on HPR so others can chime in. . .

I'ld bet that most of the guys above send theirs out to someone and have them do the work but, I could be wrong.

Let us know what you find and go with for future reference.

I'll let you know how my buddies build goes. . . will probably be a few months. . . he's got some scars on the cylinder and needed a new piston so, he's going with a 102mm bore and the head work. 12.5:1 compression and Race 7 cams.

Old 01-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

Jed,

Call me about this. You have my number.

Marky

Old 01-22-2006, 12:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Do you already have upgraded cams? The cams need to match your porting as does your intake manifold. Don't just have someone port your head unless you are matching these things together. Porting without knowing lift and duration or intake numbers is akin to blindness.

Ron

Quick Reply: Who to have Port Your head???