CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

What's story on missing gears and valves hitting piston?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 01:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's story on missing gears and valves hitting piston?

I prefer the vortex cuz the msd let me down and had to get a replacement then sold the bike JMO

Old 02-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

DSNut is correct, I did find a place out of Nevada that carries the Vortex at by far the best price I have seen yet. I posted how to find there site previously, but if unable to find and are interested, pm me and let me know and I will figure out what it was. Just an FYI, Prior to the Vortex, I had to use 2nd to pull Banshee hill in Winchester Bay, after I added the Vortex, it was 3rd at about 5500 RPM. And that is huge for a 300lb rider [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-27-2006, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DSNUT
Bomber said it. No rev limiter, miss the shift, rev past the moon, float the valves into the piston.

Crazy - you may not like me but I will chime in on the MSD thing anyway. I am running the MSD and I don't care much for it. It adds a fair amount of weight and it is an intrusive enough installation that you will have to go to a lot of work to change it back if you don't like it............not to mention the brain is cumbersome and there isn't an ideal place to locate it where you can adjust it easily and have it hidden out of the way and protected................unless you are still running stock airbox.

I have not seen any indication that the advertised hotter spark is benefitting. I haven't tested to confirm that it is hotter or not. IMHO, not worth the money I paid for it. Also, I had to cut the plug off one of the harnesses and make my own connection to the MSD. I don't know if this has been dealt with or if it was because of the year of DS I am running but it will be a pain if I ever wanted to go back to another CDI or if I wanted to buy a newer DS and transfer it over.

I think DragonDJ11 found an outlet for the Vortex ignition that was around $370.00. That is about an $80 savings over the only price I've ever seen on the MSD.

Ron

That hurts my feelings! Just because we have a difference of opinion doesn't mean I don't like you. If that was the case I'd dislike my wife more often than not. I appreciate the input. In my case some doesn't fit. I don't have a headlight so theres plenty of room for the brain, I have a wods box so my plug has already been modded. other than that I'm undecided.

Old 02-27-2006, 03:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: crazypainter
Bomber said it. No rev limiter, miss the shift, rev past the moon, float the valves into the piston.

Crazy - you may not like me but I will chime in on the MSD thing anyway. I am running the MSD and I don't care much for it. It adds a fair amount of weight and it is an intrusive enough installation that you will have to go to a lot of work to change it back if you don't like it............not to mention the brain is cumbersome and there isn't an ideal place to locate it where you can adjust it easily and have it hidden out of the way and protected................unless you are still running stock airbox.

I have not seen any indication that the advertised hotter spark is benefitting. I haven't tested to confirm that it is hotter or not. IMHO, not worth the money I paid for it. Also, I had to cut the plug off one of the harnesses and make my own connection to the MSD. I don't know if this has been dealt with or if it was because of the year of DS I am running but it will be a pain if I ever wanted to go back to another CDI or if I wanted to buy a newer DS and transfer it over.

I think DragonDJ11 found an outlet for the Vortex ignition that was around $370.00. That is about an $80 savings over the only price I've ever seen on the MSD.

Ron

That hurts my feelings! Just because we have a difference of opinion doesn't mean I don't like you. If that was the case I'd dislike my wife more often than not. I appreciate the input. In my case some doesn't fit. I don't have a headlight so theres plenty of room for the brain, I have a wods box so my plug has already been modded. other than that I'm undecided.
It has nothing to do with a difference of opinion. Just call it a hunch. Try the MSD out and let me know if you notice a difference due to the hotter spark. I would be interested to know.

Thanks,

Ron

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-27-2006, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

Ron, I don't know you enough to dislike you, unless you don't like dogs, in which case I've got no use for you whatsoever[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I'm not sold on the MSD yet I had an MSD in 1 of my boats and it died leaving me stranded down river [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] So I still don't know, the main feature I liked was the holeshot. But I suppose I can launch at 8900 instead of 6500 still using a rev limit. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-27-2006, 08:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Uh.......ok, enough about me. I don't really care about that. Regarding the MSD, one cool feature it posseses that many CDI's do not is the fact it does not add any advance before 1500 rpm. You can start adding advance at 1500 and ramp it up to a full +7 deg over stock within like 500 rpm if you wanted to but the advantage to this is it is a sprag clutch saver by remaining stock advance curve from 0 - 1500 rpm. I assume vortex offers the same advantage but I don't know that for sure.

Good luck![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Oh, btw.............I have buddy that runs the old RWR CDI that has no rev limiter. He occasionally floats his valves when we do dyno runs so I would assume it would happen from time to time on the dunes as well and he has never made contact with his piston. He is running a RWR 14:1 and Web109 cams which should be getting down to fairly tight tolerance............so I can't say I have heard of this problem occurring often.

Ron

Old 02-27-2006, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

109's dont have a whole lot of duration. The exhaust side is closed long before the piston come around to it. I learned alot about this just recently. Never heard or had any issues, but had some cool little donuts in the top of my piston.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

I have 109's, a 14-1 and woods CDI too and some really round dogs on my gears which I found out today[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-28-2006, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]

That hurts my feelings! Just because we have a difference of opinion doesn't mean I don't like you. If that was the case I'd dislike my wife more often than not.
That is a very respectable statement. Come to think of it, I don't recall ever hearing or reading anything disrespectful from Crazypainter. We don't have to agree on everything- I really like your attitude! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: 222

That hurts my feelings! Just because we have a difference of opinion doesn't mean I don't like you. If that was the case I'd dislike my wife more often than not.
That is a very respectable statement. Come to think of it, I don't recall ever hearing or reading anything disrespectful from Crazypainter. We don't have to agree on everything- I really like your attitude! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I also found it to be a respectable statement. John is working on it becoming a believable one in PM's. Btw, you do know that the only difference of opinion John and I seem to have is, he is convinced I work for HPR and I am convinced I don't. No big deal, except I think I would know more about that subject than anyone else.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Ron

Quick Reply: What's story on missing gears and valves hitting piston?