CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Way off topic powerstroke Diablo Predator tuner

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Way off topic powerstroke Diablo Predator tuner

I just got the Diablo Predator tuner for my 04 powerstroke crew cab. They say dont use it on the 100hp/198ftlb setting without exhaust....so of course I just had to play anyway. Its gonig to be hard to imagine but @ 50mph I floored it and I heard my rear tires just go up in shreds and the truck drifted sideways. After cheating risk of high EGT's I went back home and took it down to the 60hp setting. Well I took it out again and floored it at 40mph and same thing. I also noticed serious off idle power was right there....less turbo lag. Cant wait to load up the trailer with the quads and pass uphill even faster. Actually got it for improved gas mileage...they say 2 to 3 mpg is the word they are getting. I will post it on here later. I know alot of you have 6.0L powerstrokes and gas is going up.

Old 04-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Range Rover

Do you know How if gives you more power using less fuel? I see these advertised and i always wonder... You can only play with A/F mixtures and timing a little..

Old 04-21-2006, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

they work i know that not sure which 1 we have but we got 1 and before best we could get the dig to read was about 18 average now it will be anywherer from 20 to 25

Old 04-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Range Rover

Do they Just turn up Boost Pressure?

Old 04-22-2006, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

Many of the turbo diesel trucks (all brands) are de tuned from the factory to make the tranny last. Think of towing companies with fleet trucks and with the 100k drivetrain warranty the manufacturers have to make those parts last to just over that 100k warranty. If not they would be loosing so much money. The powerstroke is very interesting in the injection system. It uses oil to fire the injectors an insane amount of pressure is 26,000 psi !!! I am sure they toy with these settings to increase power. The bigger exhaust is needed to keep the exhaust temps down. I have worked for Ford in the truck durability department so I know what its all about in the "warranty" life. They build them durable to last just till they are out of warranty. We beat the **** out of the trucks and most of the time we were the ones hurting. It took stupid acts to break them.....

Old 04-22-2006, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

Forgot to explain the gas mileage. They told me that (and I have always been told this) if you have more power to weight it takes less throttle to do the same job. So this also means drive the same way and you will save fuel. It also means you may like the extra power and just use it to go faster. This will not help you, it will make your gas mileage much worse. I did notice that it takes less pedal. Normal driving I am barely even touching the throttle!

Old 04-22-2006, 01:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

So it sounds like the chips work well on Diesel trucks (which I have heard before) how about on Gasoline engines; are people seeing the same results with gas engines or what? No one makes a diesel SUV right now and I don't want a used Excursion, Toureag or Jeep Liberty. Now if Ford / Chevy made an Expedition or Tahoe in diesel, then we'ed be talking.

Old 04-22-2006, 01:32 AM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Diablo increases fuel pressure, injector duration and timing. If you don't already have them install some qauges!!! At least the EGT, especially if you plan on towing with it on. As with all the diesels the trannys don't like all the added torque so be careful and keep an eye on it. If your towing heavy I recommend not using anything higher than the 60hp setting and to backup in 4wd, your trans will appreciate it!

The rail pressure on the Dodge is 26,000psi!!!!WOW

Old 04-22-2006, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

I just checked my 3000 psi and I was off......way off........its also 26,000 psi on the 6.0L Fords.

Old 04-22-2006, 02:24 AM
Pro Rider

I yanked our controller off after our local Ford dealer tried to void our warranty after we wasted a set of heads on our 6.0.

Quick Reply: Way off topic powerstroke Diablo Predator tuner