ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   CAN-AM (BRP) (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/)
-   -   14:1 compression or Nitrous? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/243647-14-1-compression-nitrous.html)

duneittilludie 07-04-2006 09:46 PM

14:1 compression or Nitrous?

I just spent the last three days at the dunes and i did quite a bit of hill drag racing with my HPR stock bore and i did very well but i want more.I am doing far better with this motor than i ever thought i would and with a little more weight reduction from front tires and my 520 chain and sprockets i should be a couple of quad lengths faster. I am trying to decide between going to 14:1 compression from 11.5:1 or adding nitrous.I realize that these are very different modifications but both would make quite a difference from where i am now and i cant decide which would be better for what i want to do.Most of my time at the dunes is spent trail riding and just hitting the dunes but i almost always stop at the hill for some drags and the hill is where i want to pick up some performance.I am assuming that bumping my compression to 14:1 would be helpful at the hill especially since i am 230 lbs but i am not sure if i could use the Nitrous on our shorter runs.If i was sure that the compression bump would gain me a couple of quad lengths i would probably go that way but i am not sure just how much of a difference it would make. Any opinions?

choosetolose04 07-04-2006 09:54 PM

Your certainly not going to see near the with a 14.1 compression as you will with nitrous. There is no replacement for nitrous oxide. Plain and simple. There is no engine modification that will replace or even match the power of nitrous oxide. Besides, its there if you need it.

650VIPER 07-04-2006 10:02 PM

Hmmm, thats a hard decision. The piston will give you alot better bottom end then you have now. And I would guess it should give you a couple lengths in them drags. It always there, never runs out, but you always have to run race gas. Now with the nitrous, it runs out, will give you far more then a couple lenths, you do have to run race gas, but when you go on a ride without spraying, you could run pump again. It is hard to get on the button in short races, but its possible.

Hightower 07-04-2006 10:30 PM

14:1 is awesome, I was reluctent to switch to it from my 11.5 for the longest time due to the need for race fuel, but now that I have it I have it I am glad I did it and the power gain is more than worth the hassle of getting and carrying race fuel everywhere I go. I have zero regrets, except for waiting so long to do it.

but like already mentioned, it will give you nowhere near the gains of nos, but the power you do get will be there full time.

AZSAND 07-04-2006 10:46 PM

These are only arizona #'s but i do 58 with my stock bore pami's with 14-1 pistons then i hit them with a #15 shot of boss noss im up to 73-72 you put that on the back woods boy's dyno and thats off the hook !!!!! and these are everyday full weight bikes...Oh yea i just run premium unleaded pump gas if you will.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

duneittilludie 07-04-2006 11:50 PM

Very good points about both options.I dont mind the hassle of getting race fuel or the cost i just would want to make sure that the gains with 14:1 would be worthwhile.If i could gain only three to four quad lengths in 300 to 400 feet from where i am now i would be doing very well here where i ride and we have some fast four and two strokes.The Nitrous with my 11.5:1 would provide a huge gain from what i have researched but the 14:1 would always be there for tree shots and steep dunes so it is not easy for me to decide.I have asked before but maybe i can get some more input on what kind of gains i would see with Nitrous shots of 15-25 in 300 feet.I was able to run right with some banshees today up the hill that i did not think i had a chance against so if i could gain a few lengths with either option i would be doing very well.I have had the chance to run against a couple of 730 DS,s and i wont claim to be quite as fast but i will say that i am much closer than i ever thought was possible.With Nitrous or 14:1 and some more tweaking and some weight reduction i will be able to run with some pretty fast company.I appreciate the input so far especially considering who it is coming from and i will take all the advice i can get.This stock bore build is a fun project.

choosetolose04 07-05-2006 12:15 AM

In all honesty, I would just throw a good 14:1 piston in the bike (which is cheaper of the two) and see what you think. Save your coins and buy the nitrous next. Then I guarantee you, you will be all smiles, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

duneittilludie 07-05-2006 12:22 AM

choosetolose would 14:1 and Nitrous work well together?I was under the impression that 14:1 compression and Nitrous were difficult to use.If i could do both then i may go that way because the gains from that combination have to be huge when set up properly.What octane level would i have to run with 14:1 and Nitrous to be safe?

choosetolose04 07-05-2006 12:25 AM

Yes, 14:1 and nitrous can and will work together quite well. Make sure your carbs are dialed and run a little fat on the juice with about 110 octane (depending on sea level) and you will be a very happy man. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

650VIPER 07-05-2006 12:31 AM

Az, you really only need the pump for your 14-1 bikes? If so, will you let a brotha in on your secrets?lol
And Choose, since you mentioned it. Do you know of folks running the 14-1 with nitrous, on straight 110?

And the reason I ask this, I think the only mistake I have made with my current build, was not putting more compression in it. But I do not want to run more than 110.