CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Questions and comments on new OuttyXT.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:02 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions and comments on new OuttyXT.

So I've had the new 800XT for about a week and have put some quality "break-in" miles on her. About 80 or so. First impression as compared to the last one(06' XT),...Cool. The 07' says CAN AM now on the stickers. Got a remote for the winch and the aluminum rims are pretty cool lookin.
A couple of issues have come up in the last week that I'm concerned(not overly) about. First, the front end gets a bit of a "shimmy" at about 50mph and gets progressively worse with speed. The air pressure is the same in all tires. I noticed the wheel weights on the aluminum rims and wonder if ones not out of ballance. You think the dealer has a real ballancer, or are they gonna just guess? I don't know if this is related, but I also hear a faint "chirp" kinda like a break pad squealer on a car, on the right side. And at low speed, crawling in 2 hi, i hear a faint squeel,(like a pully not alligned?),from the belt housing on the left. To sum it up, the bike just doesn't seem as "ballanced" and smooth as the last one. Is this just a "4 wheeler" characteristic, or should i get it into the dealer? The little quirks arn't majorly bothersome, but for 10k, i'm thinkin it should be smooth as silk. Overly optimistic?
Other than that, I dig this ride. I'm still "on the fence" about what skid plates to get for it as I do get into a lot of swampy stuff and expect to get hung on logs quite a bit. Winters on the way and I've got a plow set up for her and have heard that the skid plates need to be removed for the plow bracket to be installed. Too much crap to bolt on and take off for every activity. Any solutions to this yet? Oh yea, did some night riddin and noticed quite a bit of "glare" from the front XT bumper, especially on high beams. I'm lookin into some additional lighting and wondered what and where ya'll are puttin on?
If you got all the way through this "novel", thanks for listening and any return conversation is appreciated. Gotta go build cars now. See ya. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-20-2006, 09:12 AM
Range Rover

I had the shimmy issue on mine. Dealer states BRP is sending wacked tires on the XT's. He has had alot of issues with the XTs.

Dealer replace my tires with another brand under warr.

Take it to the dealer and have them fix it. No reason a new machine should shimmy like that!

Old 09-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

Treereaper...I also experience a slight shimmy between 35-50 mph...over 50...it goes away. Absoultely a balance issue. Appears to be ONLY with the upgraded Carlile tires. I will say this about the 'strange' noises...my bike makes a few. Nothing really too disturbing about the squeeks and groans. However, you absolutely need to get some of them checked out as it appears there might be something going on. All in all...the best bike ever made. I.M.O.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

I had an Outlander 330 I nicknamed R2D2, never heard so many odd noises and you could hear it coming a mile away.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the push guys. I just didn't want to have it at the dealer for something that wasn't needed. I hate the thought of my baby having to spend the night or two away from me.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

I said it before and i'll say it again. Even if she is "quirky", I ain't gettin rid of her. she's too damn fun!

Old 09-20-2006, 11:30 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: smoothguy
I had the shimmy issue on mine. Dealer states BRP is sending wacked tires on the XT's. He has had alot of issues with the XTs.

Dealer replace my tires with another brand under warr.

Take it to the dealer and have them fix it. No reason a new machine should shimmy like that!
Smooth, what tires did you get? I like the "hook-up" of the acts, but if i have to suffer through the "wobble", then i'll swap.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Trailblazer

My shimmy really got bad at over 60 mph
I tried to balance my front tires several times
Finally figured out my front carlisles were out of round (junk)
My dealer wouldn't do anything for me.
Quote from dealer was you shouldn't be going that fast!!!
Got a set of used carlisles from a guy that upgraded his tires, now my shimmy is gone.
I will be needing a full new set soon anyhow, back tires are getting pretty low now.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

That faint squeal wouldn't be your gas tank vent would it? If it is, you can tell by cracking the gas cap while it's squealing, should stop.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:11 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: kawiyowee
That faint squeal wouldn't be your gas tank vent would it? If it is, you can tell by cracking the gas cap while it's squealing, should stop.
K, the squeal isn't a constant. It's a variable(high/low), that happens only when in gear and the drive shafts are spinning.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:17 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Skidplates and plow? while the richochets are spendy they are nice. and why not just drill or cut holes in the skids for the plow? Im not sure how it all hitches up.?

Quick Reply: Questions and comments on new OuttyXT.