ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   CAN-AM (BRP) (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/)
-   -   How could can-am combat the AC 950? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/269379-how-could-can-am-combat-ac-950-a.html)

crazy1291 06-27-2007 11:20 PM

How could can-am combat the AC 950?

oh yeah, i also noticed the new Aprilia Shiver 750- thats one hellava motor- 95 hp at 9000 rpm, and 81nm torque at 7000rpm

Which one do you think would be better suited to put into a new DS big bore?

PS: when is something considered big bore? When it is over 600cc or something, or when it has a 90mm bore? or when the bore is 1.5X the stroke?

Steveo10 06-28-2007 12:02 AM

So far ive heard something about a x-package (possibly 4 the renegade,but who knows)

azsandrider 06-28-2007 06:59 AM

Can Am may just use the Rotax 998cc engine they put in the 'Spyder' in a strengthed Outlander frame.....

DSengineer 06-28-2007 01:30 PM

What happened to the 800cc federal limit in order to be classified as an ATV??

I have been doing a lot of research on this 800 parallel twin and it looks like some of the BMW guys are seeing 85hp on the dyno at the rear wheels with just an exhaust and cams. Some other things I really like about the motor are the fact that the oil tank is bolted to the bottom of the case (no heavy external fuel tank up high like we have today on the DS). The water pump is also located up high on they cylinder head very close to the radiator (no more hoses wrapping all around the motor). Completely closed-loop EFI with O2 sensor on the exhaust (no need for $300 EFI controller when making mods)

Why doesn't can-am at the very least drop this motor into the current DS frame and re-release in 09 as a DS800?? I would imagine it could be done with little re-engineering of the current DS. Can-am are you listening???

crazy1291 06-28-2007 07:50 PM

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: azsandrider

Can Am may just use the Rotax 998cc engine they put in the 'Spyder' in a strengthed Outlander frame.....</end quote></div>

spyder engine is POS imo compared to the 990aprilia (which is also rotax)

its 43 more hp but same displacement

kawiyowee 06-28-2007 09:27 PM

How is canam going to answer the 950 (why call it a thousand when it ain't?). Might need 10psi just to keep from fattening the tires.

I don't see this as a real question yet. Let them be out a year or so, then some people might jump ship if they handle good and turn good, or maybe AC riders will just keep coming over here?

BBR650 06-29-2007 12:43 AM

been questions thrown around like " what would you think of a big cc motor in a light chassis like the ds450?" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] by the way 15hrs on the 450 and its taking its beating like a champ.

CAN AM is always listening and watching from the shadows....lurking to get ideas....reaserching....thats why it took them 6 years to get the "tremor" ds450 out. it is a moto eatin fool. they have done well.

as for the 950 cat goes lets just see what happens because it maybe 80hp but CAN AM has the least amount of power lost through their cvt with it being only 13%

learnem 06-29-2007 06:12 PM

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: v2rider

Come on guys. You had the spotlight for a year, now its ACs turn. If anyone has noticed, its ALWAYS Arctic Cat, and Can-Am at the top podium spots in the terrain, and mud races. I believe the share the same in the sled races also. I have come to terms that AC and Can-Am are on top and will be there for a while, trading the top spot off to each other year to year.</end quote></div>

Were mostly sand junkies here

besides the dvx 400....havent seen too many sand options from actic kitty

kawiyowee 06-30-2007 11:21 PM

I got so much into my '06, steering stabilizer, skid plates, crutchfield springs, bilstein gas shocks, soon to be LTE pipes, new wheels and tires, $4,000 on top of $10,000, I can't, or wouldn't anyway, trade it for an '08 of any brand. This quad is finally what I bought it to be, and it's not going anywhere! BTW, $2,000 of that $4,000 was just to bring it up to what BRP said it was. The other $2,000 was for me. No regrets, I don't care what AC or BRP comes out with, it won't be the quad this one is.

Not braggin' or complainin' fellas, money vs mods. Good luck on your new '08 quads, it's for sure they have better styling, viscolok, wheels, go for it! You will be buying the best quad on the planet!

maxxedouty 07-11-2007 04:31 PM

The rated HP is 62,at the back is 43 hp.Isnt that more than 13 % loss ?