CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Exhaust heat is frying my leg

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust heat is frying my leg

I went for a ride yesterday on my DS650. All day long I kept noticing my right leg was getting very hot while the left one was not so bad. No wise cracks please! I did notice most the heat was coming from my Big Gun pipe. I bought the DS with it with it so I can't compare it with the stock one. My question is "Should I put heat wrap on"? I did find a post discussing corrosion and the head pipe and not to do it. I am wondering what everyone else is doing. Also, my fan comes on allot while my friends does no come on as much and when they are both on, his stops sooner. He has a Ron Wood pipe on his. My concern is only having a battery to start and having the fan on while stopped al the time will kill it. I just changed to WetterWatter. I am riding with him again in 2 weeks so I will have something to compare it too to see if the Wetter made a difference since the fan seems to pull from the radiator is it pushing the hot air from the exhaust on my leg and keeping the engine hot enough to keep the fan on?

Thanks in advance.

-Moose

Old 07-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

Might be jetted too lean. You say you bought it with the pipe on, maybe the previous owner did not re-jet properly. Lean makes good power, so it probably feels OK, but it will run hot and eventually damage your motor.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks!

I will call Big Gun to see what jet should be in there. Tons of low end power. I even added a Powernow thing to the carb. Absolutely no hesitation when hitting the throttle.

http://www.scaryfastracing.net/

-Moose

Old 07-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem myself. You don't want to know how many pairs of ridding pants I have with a hole burned in the right leg.

I also have a big gun set up and was thinking of doing the exhaust wrap thing as well.

I was out ridding yesterday and it was +30c all day. The switch that turns the fan on screwd up the week before so I just jumped the wires and let the fan run all day. The DS battery is a pretty tough battery so it won't hurt to let the fan run.

I would suggest you check you jetting, Honeyduck96 is right if it is lean the bike will run hot for sure.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

I wrapped my header, as I was having heat problems as well, and it was awesome. It was still warm but not as bad as before the wrap. The only issue is that the wrap is not as tough as I had hoped. I usually give my bike a light pressure wash a couple times a season, and by mistake I barley grazed the heat wrap and it shredded. I stripped it all off at that point. Until then it held up very well... and looked pretty damn sweet if you ask me. You might try some radiator shrounds as well... that will pull more air through.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I put radiator shrouds on my Predator and I am about to take them off. I burned the crap out of my leg our last trip because the air goes to the radiator but not on my leg so now I get all the heat from my pipe. I even have a heat shield on my pipe and it is hot. I run a HMF pipe and use engine ice and synthetic oil. I guess I better check my jetting and make sure it is all good. Hope you all find the problem cause I feel your pain. I now have a scar on my leg from the blisters I got from my pipe. O well not gonna stop ridin so I will live with it.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

Yea i have the same thing happening to me with my Big Gun exhaust, sucker gets HOT! I was surprised to notice my fan kickin on a lot even with engine ice and a PWR radiator, i put heat shroud and hose covers around the lines near my motor to protect them, am runnin the Bomb synthetic oil, maybe i'll try to find a better synthetic for my next oil change

Old 08-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

have you ran your bike and night, and then looked at the pipe? if it is glowing, then you are waaaaaaay too lean

Old 08-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

I havent had the glowing pipe prob since i put on the fuel injection