ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   CAN-AM (BRP) (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/)
-   -   Outlander Max 800 heat on legs when riding (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/273263-outlander-max-800-heat-legs-when-riding.html)

kipkrenz 09-03-2007 10:45 PM

Outlander Max 800 heat on legs when riding

I hope it gets this hot only while breaking in. The heat coming out and onto the legs is bad. Almost need to wear asbestos pants and thats riding slow and short periods breaking in. Is this normal ? Was this thing made to be used in the cold country only?

PureIntimidation 09-03-2007 11:46 PM

I just took mine out for the first days worth of riding and I am with you brother....that thing gets to smokin' the legs!

smoothguy 09-04-2007 03:03 PM

That's where heat goes.

Tigerracer 09-05-2007 02:13 AM

HAHA you get used to it. Actually feels good in the winter. Seriously, yes it is hot , but that's what happens with an 800 engine. They make insulation that you can use to cover the exhaust. Also remember to keep your radiator clean or it will cause your engine to overheat. Clean it everytime you add gas. lol.

azsandrider 09-05-2007 05:15 AM

Ride faster, above 20 mph and you won't feel the heat...much....I ride in Azrizona in 100+ temps and just wear long pants and speed up whenever the trail allows it....The heat is not that bad....

Its realy nice in the winter....

There are always sacrifices for displacement....more weight & more heat = more HP.....

AceCoolie 09-05-2007 12:41 PM

I've had the same problem with mine. After searching the net, there appears to be 4 solutions:

1. Ride faster. Fun, but not always possible.
2. Add Water Wetter to your coolant. This is supposed to lower temps 10-20 degrees. I've added it to mine but I put it in the overflow bottle and it's yet to be circulated into the system so I can't comment on how well it worked.
3. Replace entire coolant with Engine Ice. This is supposed to be wonderful stuff that lowers temps even more than Water Wetter but you have to COMPLETLY drain the existing coolant. Otherwise, it reacts, turns to gel, and causes problems. The problem with going this route is that I've heard that even with flushing the system, it's VERY difficult to get ALL the coolant out of the 2nd cylinder head on Outlanders.
4. Coat the headers/exhaust. There are two methods to do this. You can use header wrap but it traps moisture and may cause rusting. It also only covers the outside. A better alternative is to have the exhaust ceramic coated. This appears to cost around $150 depending on options etc. but the people that have done it claim a night and day difference. I've heard this place (http://www.performancecoatings.com/headercoatings.html) is good to use. I'm thinking of going that route but I'll wait till next summer and see if I still find it necessary.

CaptainQuint 09-06-2007 03:01 AM

A friend of mine had the same problem. His would get hot enough to melt his plastic. It was really bad when doing slow speed trail riding which we do quite a bit of. He finally sent his exhaust away to be ceramic coated which he says helped a great deal. I don't remember where he got it done. The price wasn't too terribly bad. A couple hundred bucks at most maybe. They did it inside and out I think.

kas379 09-06-2007 03:06 AM

Same same on my Renegade, like someone already mentioned, it is a plus during the colder months. I don't think it's so much just from the exhaust either, that think just puts out some serious heat off the motor alone.

dvukovic 09-06-2007 06:26 AM

Just wear some thick pants with good insulation and you'll be fine (like ones you would wear during winter)...