CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS450 - is it a fiction?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 05:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS450 - is it a fiction?

does someone have a clue what is the truth behind the delay in the DS450 production?
They have made a big WOW when revealing it but for some reason they are not hurry in selling it...

Old 11-25-2007, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

ya know, i am getting real antzy for a new quad..... the money is in the bank and i just spent 45 minutes looking all over the internet for a dealer who states that they actually have a real life ds450 on the floor for sale. lots of dealerships have the info for them and are taking orders but i am starting to wonder whats up. they should be out by now. i mean i have already seen the ktm450 out and about. i actually had a chance to ride one. apparently they the Can Am team riders are already riding them. i just hope this quad is not going to end up being like the cannondales or the gag-gas's. i really am interested but the possibility of a weak aftermarket like the ds has and a cheap prices on yfz's and rappy's are making me start to reconsider things.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a feeling they are trying to get the quad right from the get go. Originally they stated they were only going to make it if it would be the lightest, fastest, best handling. I am not entirely sure they would have the fastest right now. Also there are reports of some small issues that are appearing on the race bikes causing DNF's. It appears Can-Am wants to get all that ironed out before peddling to the public. This is one of the upsides I see to having so many race quads:0 !!!

Old 11-25-2007, 07:49 AM
Pro Rider

I for one would like to see a quad come off the line where there are very few issues with it. I'm not talking performance issues, but rather engineering of items in stock form. We all know many quads that have come off the line before thier time. Yamaha tends to be one of these, and of course the DS650 had some issues when it came out in 2000. I think everyone is watching this quad. It there are issues, all of that advertising will come back at them if they dont get it right.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

seems like it is another year til we see them out and about on the trail if thet ever even happens. too many people are dead set in there ways and wont strey from the big 4- kawi.zuk,hon,yammy JMO.......with lack of interest the aftermarket will be weak also. i really hope this quad takes off though. if it is as good as it is supposed to be i will get one for sure in when i see solid results too back up the hype

Old 11-26-2007, 08:23 AM
Pro Rider

Someday too .... someone is going to make a performance quad that run on ethanol. Im not talking flexfuel (both gas or ethanol), but tuned with the correction compression for just ethanol. The performance will be better and that fuel will keep some of the environmentalists at bay.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:02 PM
TPR
The Champ

The DS will be out very soon....Remember, they never set a release date. What has happened is this: Can-Am spent a lot of time and money in developing this quad. They realize what kind of impact the quad would have on their bottom line as it pertains to this quad. Considering it's genesis started back when the target was the 400ex class of quads. At one point, I believe they even targeted the Banshee crowd as it disappeared, but as the advent of the 450 class came to fruition, they figured that was the place to be.

Because of all the innovations they had come up with, they required more test time as well as extra time to set up all new tooling for production, all the while building and distributing enough hand built units to satisfy production requirements for racing 2008.

In the meantime they took the interesting step in racing their bikes in a few select venues to shake out any unforseen issues in real world racing. Now I don't care how tough a rider thinks they are, they never really push till they are in a race.

During this period, there were a handful of minor issues, all corrected prior to sale...chaffed wires being one of the issues for a couple DNF's....one DNF was due to a sprocket breaking, another was actually a calculated risk on behalf of the team and rider in extreme muddy conditions they pushed past the standard 2 laps and pit to clean the radiator to see if the bike would hold up for a 3rd lap...and it didn't, it overheated but the engine didn't blow, they just called it a day.

Of all the DNF's that have occured, there has not been one motor or tranny failure. The frame has held up great and the riders on their teams (Jeremy Lawson has been noted in this) have shown improvements in their practice lap times over their previous race machines.

The nail was right on here too in that they don't want another Cannondale mistake, or bad Yamaha tranny issues. They want a bike with the best chance to be ridden hard for more time than it spends being repaired.

TPR