CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Newbie - have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie - have some questions

Hey -

Long story short, I just inherited an 03 Ski-Doo ATV and I don't really know that much about them, or ATVs in general really... I love off roading and have 03 Lifted F150 4x4. I want to get this thing going. Here's where I'm at.

It hasn't been started in 2 years and has less than 10 hours on it. I should have it going tomorrow.

I know this is a Baja ATV, but how do they handle in the snow or are they just really meant for racing. Any chance of throwing a plow on the front? Or is that just dumb? What type of functionality can I get from this thing other than off roading (plowing snow, throw a winch on it, etc..).

Don't bash me please. Wanting to learn. I hope to be a member here for a long time... I love modding. Put a lot of them on my truck. Thanks.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

welcome, and u got urself a nice machine, if u like to go fast ur in luck lol, but no u cant plow with it, its a specific sport ATV, but u can ride in anything, snow, mud, etc as long as u get urself a nice set of tires

Old 12-17-2007, 12:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Good to know. Thanks.

So with that being out of the way, what mods would be good for this. I won't ever race it but once I get use to riding it, I'll be testing its limits..

It needs a new air filter, and I've always used K&N, would you recommend that or something else along thos lines?

I have a set of paddles for sand. I'll have it up at Silver Lake this summer in MI.

This will primarily be in sand and snow. Hardly any mud.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a K&N filter on my machine, There is alot of mods to do to this machine, I would start with a good pipe, and maybe a Big Gun CDI, and a different Carb. The Tm45 is good. There is lot more people on here that know more than me, maybe they will chime in.

Welcome to the forums.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BioWare

I use a K&N filter on my machine, There is alot of mods to do to this machine, I would start with a good pipe, and maybe a Big Gun CDI, and a different Carb. The Tm45 is good. There is lot more people on here that know more than me, maybe they will chime in.

Welcome to the forums.</end quote></div>

Thanks for the suggestions... I'll look into them.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JK007

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BioWareI use a K&N filter on my machine, There is alot of mods to do to this machine, I would start with a good pipe, and maybe a Big Gun CDI, and a different Carb. The Tm45 is good. There is lot more people on here that know more than me, maybe they will chime in.

Welcome to the forums.</end quote></div>

Thanks for the suggestions... I'll look into them.</end quote></div>

If you don't want to spend a crap load of money for a carb you could do the mods to the OEM carb. Just do a search in the can am section for it and you'll find everything you need. Good luck! Definately do the rev box, pipe, and filter.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Also remember to put an Outerwear on your K&N, definitely look into a pipe and then if you think you need a carb get one. I personally would go with a Lectron 46HV, it is a very good carb, just a preference. And also get a cdi, most use a Vortex, they are spendy but worth it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Welcome to the forum, there is a lot of good advice and experience on here.
Seth

Old 12-18-2007, 01:46 AM
Trailblazer

Ive got the Ron Woods stage 1 kit which includes a pipe, cdi box, mikuni carb, new throttle cable and K&N Filter. Really woke up my Ds, has tons of power and havent had any problems.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Great you guys. Thanks for all the help. I can't wait to start modding this thing...

One question I don't know if you guys would know off the top of your head. I have an 03 F150 Supercrew, so my bed is actually 5' instead of 6'. Again I don't know that much about the Quad but I had heard that the DS's have a wider stance than most other Quads. I measured everything out yesterday because I would like to be able to haul this in my pick up bed and not trailer it if possible. Does anyone know if this will fit in the bed?

With the tailgate down, I know lengthwise it should fit, but my question is the width. I thought the width had measured 48.5" on mine, but my bed is only 48"... Have you guys been able to stuff these in your pick up beds at all, or should I be looking for a trailer? I would try it myself but my truck has a lift and I don't think I could manage it by myself. Plus I have a tonneau cover on it for the winter (live in Michigan)... Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Old 12-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JK007

Great you guys. Thanks for all the help. I can't wait to start modding this thing...

One question I don't know if you guys would know off the top of your head. I have an 03 F150 Supercrew, so my bed is actually 5' instead of 6'. Again I don't know that much about the Quad but I had heard that the DS's have a wider stance than most other Quads. I measured everything out yesterday because I would like to be able to haul this in my pick up bed and not trailer it if possible. Does anyone know if this will fit in the bed?

With the tailgate down, I know lengthwise it should fit, but my question is the width. I thought the width had measured 48.5" on mine, but my bed is only 48"... Have you guys been able to stuff these in your pick up beds at all, or should I be looking for a trailer? I would try it myself but my truck has a lift and I don't think I could manage it by myself. Plus I have a tonneau cover on it for the winter (live in Michigan)... Any input is appreciated.

Thanks</end quote></div>

I think a trailer is your only option man.

Quick Reply: Newbie - have some questions