CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Water Pump Seals-Please help the stupid

Old 12-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Seals-Please help the stupid

Due to the milk coming from my crankcase breather hose, and the cottage cheese in the oil tank, I am in the process of changing out my water pump seals (03 DS 650). I ordered the BMW kit with new shaft, impeller and seals, should be here next week

Last night, I removed the clutch cover and the water pump, and removed the black drive gear, the impeller, and the shaft. Now, I am having a difficult time getting the existing seals out. Do I just dig the rubber out with a screwdriver, or is there some trick to it? I am afraid of messing up the clutch cover by being too rough with it trying to get the existing seals out. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't remember that being difficult.

Try heating up the case / housing a little. It could be real cold making it tight.

You can always use the screw method. Get a self tapping screw and screw it into the Seal then use a claw to pull it out. I did this on my Countershaft seal. Worked well.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

Try a hook. I have a set of pics and one has a hook on it and since you are changing them out you dont need to worry about messing them up. Try shooting some WD40 in there first. Just watch how they come out. Were you getting a drip out of the weep hole at the bottom of the cover?

Old 12-30-2007, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

Do you run Methanol by chance or gas?

Old 12-31-2007, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

Its a basically stock bike running on pump gas. Noticed milky discharge coming from the crankcase vent, assumed coolant in the oil. Changed out the water pump seals, and ran through three oil changes to flush. Put the good oil in and thought I was good to go. Went for one more run down the street before putting on the sand tires, and ran it hard in third and fourth gear. Then heard a loud metallic clanking, chattering noise. I have no idea what's going on now.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

Valves maybe

Old 01-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider

actually if you bend the lip up all the way around the seal it should pop out rather easy (not the same water pump as yours but still the same application)
Name:  3-28-2007LS227.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  38.5 KB
Name:  3-28-2007LS230.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  32.1 KB

Old 01-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the help guys, it was helpful and appreciated. I was finally able to get the last seal out, and finished changing out the water pump seals. After three oil changes, filled with fresh Amsoil and thought I was good.

Took it for a run, and heard a hellish knocking and clanging noise when I rolled into it in third and fourth gear. Shut it down and pushed it home. Turns out the water pump seals were the least of my problems.

Took it to the mechanic, who tells me I have a rod knocking. $1200-$2000 to fix, depending on what they find inside the cases. I believe I know how this happened. Went to Glamis in December, and when I got home, I noticed a coolant leak right from the radiator. The fan had come loose and pushed into the back of the radiator, putting a hole in it. I bet I rode it like this in Glamis, unknowingly, got it hot, and cracked the head. Funny thing is, the red light never came on and it seemed to run fine. Before I realized that I had a cracked head, I had already bought and installed a new radiator and new fan. So these nice new parts (radiator, fan, water pump seals) are now on a bike with a blown motor. I always tend to learn things the hard (and expensive) way.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider

that hurts, can-am has replacement cranks for 500 (rebuilt) heads on e-bay 100-250, work on the engine ?