CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

short test ride on EFI/Turbo DS

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2001, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, this afternoon I met with Steve Benson at HyMark Performance and took his Turbo Ds for a spin around the parking lot, would have loved to have opened it up at the dunes but I'll take what I can get.
The bike does have some Turbo lag -maybe 1-2 secs and pulls like my ds till maybe 4000-4500 rpm at that point it jerks hard and you rocket - BIG GRIN
Unfortunately I ran out of parking lot just as the Turbo hits- I was running 10-12 lbs of boost , which is about 1/2 of what the bike is capable. At the lower boost level he estimates the power in the 60 hp range with a top hp around 80-90 at the higher boost level (23lbs)The bike has absolutely instantious throttle response and the sweetest sounding pipe, not a barking sound like my bike but very rumbly and throaty. All the pipes are chromed and the turbo itself(aerodyne)is black.
As for the EFI I can't wait to learn how to tweak the fuel mapping and customize the power band. Steve is going to set me up with the software and with my laptop I'll be able to configure dozens of parameters like High temp shut down, high rpm shut down, oxygen levels, high exhaust temp etc,etc.
I did like the bike so much that I'm buying it ( don't tell my Wife )I went ahead and put money down on it, it will take a coupla months befor I can pay it off so I won't have any reports to make from the dunes till spring.
One modification I'll be making to the bike , will be the addition of an intercooler, I've already got it layed out in my mind. The intercooler from a Dodge Daytona will be about the right size and should boost peak hp to the 100-110 hp level. at that point I'll take the bike to Vegas and get it dynoed.
Aahh this spring is gonna be great!!!!

Old 01-11-2001, 03:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Now that, sounds cool. When you take posession of it, you'll need to post some pics and more info. I think the idea of the laptop hooking up to an ATV is pretty amusing. It'ed be interesting to see the intercooler fitted on it - I assume you are quite the mechanic if you have got that much fluid knowledge of parts etc. Once you get that beast peaked out you'll have to make a Glamis run at some point and check out Olds or Comp hill, those are supposed to be rather popular for that sort of drag racing.

Old 01-11-2001, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

Nah, I still think my Raptor will take it.... haha...just joking...
It sounds like a very nice set-up that he has put together.

Are you buying the entire bike, or just the turbo system? Care to give us a ball park figure on what it's going to cost?

Can't wait to hear actual reports from you this spring!

Old 01-11-2001, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

I read on a website(ALBA I think) that they are in Research stage of making a turbo or something to that effect for the raptor. That stuff is big bucks I've heard.

Old 01-11-2001, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

Eric the set up for the DS650 cost about $7000.00

Old 01-11-2001, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

hey major can I get just the EFI? and what are you paying total for the turbo ds? Your wifes gonna kill you hehe, I envy you dude.

Old 01-11-2001, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

yes, I am buying the bike and the complete set up,
the bike has less than 20 hrs on it and is in mint condition. The turbo setup is so extensive that it would't make sense to tear it out. This is the same bike in Scooby's signature "Turbo DS " pic.
Only one was made and this is it.
As for the cost, I am buying it and the STU tires for $11k total.
Steve estimates approx. 10k has gone into the R&D(not including cost of bike) including the aerodyne turbo($2500.00) EFI(3500.00)
and then all the custom pipe work, guages, sensors etc. it was too good a deal to pass up and is the only way that I know of to get that kind of Horse power.
The other modifications ie. Intercooler, is Steves idea, which I will complete in the early spring. I am still getting to understand all the mechanics of this new system , but am eagerly reading all I can about Turbo systems and EFI's. But I do believe it is the way to go!

Trending Topics

Old 01-12-2001, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

hi major i'm jealous, anyway how I can get just the EFI?

Old 01-12-2001, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

Call Steve Benson @ 801-264-8656 He can tell you what you need and where to get it, maybe even sell you one of his EFI's

Old 03-20-2001, 08:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Majorecho, When are you picking up your turbo? Mine is being assembled this week. I'm still debating whether to pick it up or ship it to Texas...

Quick Reply: short test ride on EFI/Turbo DS