CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Lectron 46HV Power Jet suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lectron 46HV Power Jet suggestions

Hey: Guys

I would be interested to know what size of power jet you are running. I am still down on power after having the head done (trail porting) and I am think that I am rich on the power jet. I had it dynoed in St. A's last fall and I only pulled 48 horse. Keep in mind St. A's is about 4500 feet. I had the best results when I had the #100 power jet in the carb. I have a #40, #75, and a #10. It ran terrible when I tried any of these.

I had better power before having the head done - it pulled 52 horse.

Need help DS Brothers

I can't stand getting passed by them 450's

Old 01-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you called eric? he seems to have all your parts figured pretty well

Old 01-07-2008, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!

Definately call Eric...he will get you in the ball park I have found dyno runs not very reliable in determining best PJ size as the runs are usually to short to get into the circuit for very long, or at all. You need to have a load on the motor for an exptended amount of time to determine best PJ size. For me wide open runs up Sand Mtn NV work best...

Who did your head porting? Stock or oversize valves?

Old 01-07-2008, 10:55 PM

Eric did the porting with oversized valves (1mm). I have spoke to Eric a couple of time and he assures me the power is there, but just trying to find out how to get it.

I dynoed the bike before and after the head work with the same power jet on the same dyno with the same tires and had lower horse power after the head work. The numbers had me scratching my head.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:06 AM
OMR
Pro Rider
Is Oldmanracing! Also the inventor on the DS650 carb Mod!

Check the slide.
Remove snorkel and with the thumb throttle pressed in, use your finger to verify that the slide is all the way up.
Slide can rise higher than bore, this is needed to get the needle as high as possible.
If you are running a 100 jet, good chance needle is low.

OMR

Old 01-08-2008, 12:52 AM

OMR

You are saying that the slide should not be in the carb at all during W.O.T. I think my slide still stays in the carb a bit. Hence I may not be on the power jet until the slides moves all it can ???

Old 01-08-2008, 11:09 AM
OMR
Pro Rider
Is Oldmanracing! Also the inventor on the DS650 carb Mod!

The needle in a Lectron carb is a continuous taper.
The needle needs to be mechanically as high as it can go.
The major benefit of the Lectron carb is its ability to atomize fuel because of the flat backside taper. When air goes past the needle it builds a stronger pressure behind the needle compared to a round needle. This pressure not only helps draw the fuel up, but as the fuel riches the venturi, the fuel actually explodes.

The power jet is a vacuum activated accelerator pump. It dumps raw fuel into the motor. Good for bottom to mid, but should not be used to make up for having the wrong needle for top. Dual power jets help add fuel to motor in smaller quantites so as to get the fuel better atomized.

As the power band in your motor is raised to a higher rpm band, the more the power jets need to be used to get the motor into its new power band. Always try to use the smallest power jet size as you can, let the needle control the top so that the highest power can be generated.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:15 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: OMR

The needle in a Lectron carb is a continuous taper.

The needle needs to be mechanically as high as it can go.

The major benefit of the Lectron carb is its ability to atomize fuel because of the flat backside taper. When air goes past the needle it builds a stronger pressure behind the needle compared to a round needle. This pressure not only helps draw the fuel up, but as the fuel riches the venturi, the fuel actually explodes.

The power jet is a vacuum activated accelerator pump. It dumps raw fuel into the motor. Good for bottom to mid, but should not be used to make up for having the wrong needle for top. Dual power jets help add fuel to motor in smaller quantites so as to get the fuel better atomized.

As the power band in your motor is raised to a higher rpm band, the more the power jets need to be used to get the motor into its new power band. Always try to use the smallest power jet size as you can, let the needle control the top so that the highest power can be generated.</end quote></div>

OMR,

You are a genius!

That explains quite a great deal about Lectrons, and their power bands and limitations. Excellent work and thank you!

Do you run Lectrons for yourself or a loved one, and what size Lectron for what make/motor size?

Old 01-08-2008, 04:22 PM

OMR

Thanks for the explanation. I had always thought the power jet did the 3/4 to full open part of the throttle range.

As you know the needles are adjustable in a lectron. Do you think I could adjust the needle and get the power out of the bike ?

Old 01-14-2008, 01:38 AM

bump

Quick Reply: Lectron 46HV Power Jet suggestions