CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

No Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 02:32 AM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Start

Hey Guys I need some help

The snow has finaly melt and i was able to get the Ds out of the shed this past weekend. Fired her up and took her to my shop to replace the cams. The exhaust cam had a chunk missing by the locating hole for the gear. I had Eric at OMW Racing make me another set of HPR4 cams.

I removed the valve cover got the engine to TDC with the lobes pointing out inserted the crank locking bolt and then replaced the cams. Lined everything up and put it back together. Now it won't start.

I took it apart again to check and everything seemed right. I have a hell of a time trying to find the notch in the crank when looking threw that little hole.

It does not sould like it fireing. Is it possible that I could have installed the cams at the wrong TDC causing a no start ?

The valve lash did not change and it ran fine in the morning when i drove it into the shop. I have spark and plugs are getting wet so i think i have Fuel.

Any other ideas are welcome.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:38 AM
Pro Rider
Runs a 730 kit from OMW with web109's and a 48mm lectron. It has some serious torque!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Start

as far as i know TDC is TDC, if the piston is all the way up its good to time. i never lock the crank, just turn the motor over and make sure the piston is all the way up, never had to problems....just a thought the lobes are supposed to face away from each other.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Default No Start

I was thinking they was a differance on the 2 tdc's (compression and power) but maybe not.

Anybody think of any other reason why it won't fire up.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider
I'm a Plumbing contractor and I have some old friends that always called me Pipelayer for some reason?
Default No Start

if you have the cam chain off one tooth I did it once and f--d up the timing and made it hard to start

Old 04-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default No Start

Check to make sure you re-plugged everything back together. All cables and hoses are where they need to be. No gaps in the intake hose at the carb and all tight. Sprkplug wires are back on..... I know sounds stupid, but amazing what we will miss when we are excited or in a hurry..... Also, I cannot see through that little hole at all, I just go by feel. Turn it and let the bolt lock into place, and you are at TDC. Install everything again, and you should be good.....

Old 04-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.
Default No Start

Word! It's damn near inpossible to see the notch but very easy to find with the bolt. Once it falls into place just snug it slightly and it will hold fine. If the lobes are outboard from one another the lines on the gears should be very close...

Old 04-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Default No Start

Do you guys think it makes a differance on which TDC I am on ???

Trending Topics

Old 04-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider
Runs a 730 kit from OMW with web109's and a 48mm lectron. It has some serious torque!
Default No Start

it shouldnt matter

Old 04-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider
I'm a Plumbing contractor and I have some old friends that always called me Pipelayer for some reason?
Default No Start

I just check if the pisten is all the way up with a screw driver in a spark plug hole

Old 04-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Range Rover
Default No Start

did ya check the valve lash with the new cams???? whats it sound like when it turns over?? dose it sound like everythings right???

Quick Reply: No Start