CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 SERVICE AND MAINTANANCE QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS650 SERVICE AND MAINTANANCE QUESTIONS

I have a idk what year ds 650 x. it is black and orange.. when i got it it had no service manual.. i would like to change oil and give it a tune up but i dunno much about these rotary engines.. how much oil does it take and what weight?? what else do i need to know.. some maintanence suggestions would be appreciated.. thanks

Old 04-24-2008, 11:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Do a search on here for this subject, recently there has been several new owners asking the same question.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

cant find anything

Old 04-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

If your quad is black and orange, it is likely an 02 or an 03 DS 650 Baja. It does not have a "rotary" engine but a "Rotax" engine, which is the Austrian engine manufacturer that makes motors for Bombardier, and others.

To drain oil from the motor, pull the drain plug on the bottom of the motor. Then, drain the oil from the oil tank (located underneath the headlight and above the a-arms). Be prepared for a mess the first time you do this-oil will get everywhere. You will also want to take out the fitting on the bottom of the oil tank, the one with a hose attached, there is a screen inside that you want to make sure is clean. Then, remove the oil filter, (located on rear foot brake side-near colored exhaust heat shield) The oil filter cover is held on by two allen headed bolts. The oil capacity is approx. 3.5 quarts +-. I usually put in a little over three quarts, run it for a few minutes, and then fill until it shows full on the dipstick. Use a 10-40 motorcycle oil (either regular or sythetic) that is wet clutch safe.

There are probably a hundred threads on this forum covering oil change tips, tricks, etc. that do a WAY better job than I have. The search function is your best friend on this forum, believe me. Go to search, advanced search, restrict it to the Can-Am/BRP forum, type in oil change, and I assure you that you can then read for at least two hours about changing the oil on a DS 650. You may also want to adjust your chain, flush out your radiator, and maybe change your spark plugs. Best of luck.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jusrlax

If your quad is black and orange, it is likely an 02 or an 03 DS 650 Baja. It does not have a "rotary" engine but a "Rotax" engine, which is the Austrian engine manufacturer that makes motors for Bombardier, and others.

To drain oil from the motor, pull the drain plug on the bottom of the motor. Then, drain the oil from the oil tank (located underneath the headlight and above the a-arms). Be prepared for a mess the first time you do this-oil will get everywhere. You will also want to take out the fitting on the bottom of the oil tank, the one with a hose attached, there is a screen inside that you want to make sure is clean. Then, remove the oil filter, (located on rear foot brake side-near colored exhaust heat shield) The oil filter cover is held on by two allen headed bolts. The oil capacity is approx. 3.5 quarts +-. I usually put in a little over three quarts, run it for a few minutes, and then fill until it shows full on the dipstick. Use a 10-40 motorcycle oil (either regular or sythetic) that is wet clutch safe.

There are probably a hundred threads on this forum covering oil change tips, tricks, etc. that do a WAY better job than I have. The search function is your best friend on this forum, believe me. Go to search, advanced search, restrict it to the Can-Am/BRP forum, type in oil change, and I assure you that you can then read for at least two hours about changing the oil on a DS 650. You may also want to adjust your chain, flush out your radiator, and maybe change your spark plugs. Best of luck.</end quote></div>

Yep, that!!!