ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   CAN-AM (BRP) (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/)
-   -   Too much compression??? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/293396-too-much-compression.html)

Wacktastic 07-05-2008 01:53 AM

Too much compression???

Just recently I had the water in the motor when I went to change the oil for the new summer season. I figured I had a bad head gasket or something of the nature. Turns out it was the seals on the saft pump. Since it was tore down I decided to rebuild the top end. I purchased a kit with cams and the je high compression piston. Also decided to go with the tm45 carb from RWR. The install went smooth and after a months worth of time waiting on parts. I started it up for the first time and no problem. I followed the directions from web cams on breaking it in. Which was running it for 15 minutes and not letting it get below 2k rpm. I broke it up in 5 minute increments so the motor wouldn't get too hot because of the new rings. I then took short rides just to see how everything was running. The carb seemed to be a little lean the plugs were a little black and not wet. Made some adjustment but was not enough so I figured I needed to go up on the main jet. The last ride I took I stopped the quad to move a log out of the way on a trail when I got back on the battery wouldn't turn the motor over. I figured I had whipped my battery out form all the starting the quad. After I got back home and charged the battery it would barely turn the motor. So I figured the battery had went bad even though it was only 2 years old. Replaced the battery with a new odyssey. Charged the battery over night and I still have the same problem. Turning the motor by hand is hard when it hits the compression stroke. Any ideas of what could cause this?

Jahaad Barker 10-27-2018 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Wacktastic (Post 2609788)
Just recently I had the water in the motor when I went to change the oil for the new summer season. I figured I had a bad head gasket or something of the nature. Turns out it was the seals on the saft pump. Since it was tore down I decided to rebuild the top end. I purchased a kit with cams and the je high compression piston. Also decided to go with the tm45 carb from RWR. The install went smooth and after a months worth of time waiting on parts. I started it up for the first time and no problem. I followed the directions from web cams on breaking it in. Which was running it for 15 minutes and not letting it get below 2k rpm. I broke it up in 5 minute increments so the motor wouldn't get too hot because of the new rings. I then took short rides just to see how everything was running. The carb seemed to be a little lean the plugs were a little black and not wet. Made some adjustment but was not enough so I figured I needed to go up on the main jet. The last ride I took I stopped the quad to move a log out of the way on a trail when I got back on the battery wouldn't turn the motor over. I figured I had whipped my battery out form all the starting the quad. After I got back home and charged the battery it would barely turn the motor. So I figured the battery had went bad even though it was only 2 years old. Replaced the battery with a new odyssey. Charged the battery over night and I still have the same problem. Turning the motor by hand is hard when it hits the compression stroke. Any ideas of what could cause this?

hey man DiD you get this taken care of if so whT was it I am having the same problem

Dazeys 10-28-2018 08:37 AM

That post is over 10 years old and he only had 5 posts total. Chances are he's not around anymore. But it sounds like he got more water in the cly. somehow. Pull the plug and see if it still turns slow then check your compression. If it still turns slow with the plug out and a good battery then it might be the starter.

EdsDS650 10-22-2019 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Wacktastic (Post 2609788)

Valves need adjusting

Kymco 450i 10-22-2019 07:52 PM

"Carb seemed lean but plug was black" cant have both, black plug means carb is rich....then you opened up the main jet and made it even richer yet! I think you should go thru everyrhing and recheck/readjust everything. Do a compression check and see if it really is high. Could be other issues, you need to make positive checks to know for sure, not just guesses, or you will keep doing things over and over