ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   CAN-AM (BRP) (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/)
-   -   PLEASE HELP! ds 650 ignition bypass/ key lost! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/30398-please-help-ds-650-ignition-bypass-key-lost.html)

dsEATER 02-06-2001 12:50 PM

My friend just lost his key for his ds650, we were planning a HUGE ride this weekend and he is dying to ride, he went to the dealer he got it at and they ordered a new key switch but it won't be in for atleast 2-3 weeks!

How can he bypass the switch to ride this weekend?

Diogenes 02-06-2001 01:45 PM

Trick question?

There are other ways, but: how about removing the key switch and hot-wiring it?

There are not too many possibilities regarding which wires should be connected; but if you can't figure it out, surely the dealership will let you peek at a wiring diagram if you need to identify specific wires.

Rather than a new switch, why not a new key? Often, key codes are available in vehicle documentation; check with the selling dealer, or the factory; information may be "keyed" to the VIN. Otherwise, a locksmith might be able to cut a key for the switch "from scratch," with access to the switch.

Diogenes

dominator 02-06-2001 01:46 PM

It should be fairly simple. Take the switch out and start jumping together the wires on the plug. I'm sure you'll find out what wires need to be connected together (or not connected together) to have power to the coil and what wires feed power to the starter.

newdsowner 02-06-2001 06:25 PM

Well i did that on my Honda by removing the key switch. There was a red and a black wire going to the switch. Connect the red and black wires that lead to the switch together and you should have power. Remember when you do this, power will be on all the time that the bike is in neutral. As long as you leave the bike in gear you won't be draining the battery power. This works for my honda but as far as the DS is concerned I do not know if it is the same principal. More than likely it is, becuase all the key ignition is, is a lockable switch. Logically you could be a toggle switch in line with the wiring so you never have to use a key. Leave the key ignition on so any would-be thieves would think they need a key in order to ride off. Then again, if a thief really wants it, it will be gone no matter what. Good luck and hope it works.

Daniel Ashenfelter 06-30-2019 02:58 PM

Wiring

Originally Posted by dsEATER (Post 9061)
My friend just lost his key for his ds650, we were planning a HUGE ride this weekend and he is dying to ride, he went to the dealer he got it at and they ordered a new key switch but it won't be in for atleast 2-3 weeks!

How can he bypass the switch to ride this weekend?

Do u think ur friend can give u pic of how the wiring is suppose to be for the ignition someone tried to steal my wheeler and now I’m trying to put new ignition in but wires are cut and everything