CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Help wit changing tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help wit changing tires

I've been fighting all week now trying to get the old tires off and get the new ones put on. Can anyone offer any tricks or pointers to make this any easier. I set up a large homemade press to try and break the bead and it either slides off the tire or goes right through the tire. I cut one tire off hoping putting the new ones on would be easier and so far I can't get the new one on either. I've used alot of soap and water mix trying to get them to slide on with now luck.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 08-23-2007, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer

I have one tip that i have used on car tires. Take your wheel and tire and deflate it, then set it in the driveway or where ever and run your truck or car up onto the side of the tire and it will pop the bead. But as far as putting them on it is very hard. I would just take them to a dealer or even maybe a garage. have fun

Old 08-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer

Burnoutmaster, buy yourself an atv tire bead breaker and two tire spoons. The one I bought is adjustable for 8" to 12" rims. After you do a couple it only takes 1 to 2 minutes to remove a tire. I use WD40 as a lubricant, once removed , I sand the inside of the bead to remove dirt and burs.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

the hard part is gettin them off i just take them to a tire store and have them take them off for like 5 to 10 bucks

Old 08-24-2007, 03:11 AM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a tire store and have seen lots of bent and ruined wheels from people trying to do it themselfs. Take it to a tire shop, probably charge you 10 bucks to change them over - Why would you want to do it yourself anyway ???

Old 08-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

I have 3 different bead breakers , 1 very large which will do up to 35 inch off road pickup tires, one for passenger car tires downt to boat trailer tires which is the best one for atv tires, and one for go cart and smaller tires. I also have an assortment of tire irons but do have a favorite pair thats about 18 inches long with curved ends that work awsome. anyone ever had trouble beading a tire and used starting fluid and a match to bead them up ??LOL .... its a blast! but works every time.. by the wat , the tire has to be completely dry in order to break it down or bead breakers will just keep slipping off .

Old 08-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

the top one is my favorite tire iron and works great. the others are basically worthlessclick here

Old 08-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MRDS650

I own a tire store and have seen lots of bent and ruined wheels from people trying to do it themselfs. Take it to a tire shop, probably charge you 10 bucks to change them over - Why would you want to do it yourself anyway ???</end quote></div>

Exactly....they can be done urself with no tools and just some hard hard work....or you could spend 20-25 bucks and get them done in 15 min without a beat up rim.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I finally got the tires changed this weekend. I ended up buying a manual tire changer from Harbor Freight for $39.99. This did the job but it still took a long time to break the beads. Around here everyone wanted $30 a wheel to change tires and the regular tire shops said they wouldn't do atv tires.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Trailblazer

I am in the same boat as Burnout.... they charge us $17 per wheel for off and on. we go through so many and so often that it becomes ridiculous...

I am about to pull the trigger on a "portable tire changer" which is bigger than the "mini" and supposedly does btwn 8-16 inch wheels. does anybody have any expierence with this?

here is a link to the item http://www.harborfreight.com/c...m.taf?itemnumber=34542

Quick Reply: Help wit changing tires