CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

What paddles for built DS650?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What paddles for built DS650?

I mainly ride Pismo and Glamis. I haven't done any chassis mods yet. I'm also about 270 lbs so lots of weight to haul. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I'm 55 so I don't do tricks and I don't do much jumping but I do like hill climbing. I like to be able to ride anywhere no matter the angle of the dune.

I'm thinking along the lines of a 10 paddle but I'm not sure just how much difference there is between 8 and 10 in terms of throwing sand/pushing you forward. I've heard that more paddles are better if you have the horsepower, which I think I will.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

imo the worst thing u can do is overpaddle. i ride glamis all the time so i have good experence with that sand. what i would recomend for u sence you have a stock swingarm is a triple buff 22x11x8 8 cup hauler. for anyone with a stock swingarm i would no get any more than 8 cups otherwise you will just loop your bike on take off. and in glamis we have longer hills so less paddles is uselly more(more top speed because of less drag). but like when i ride in oregon i paddles up big time because there hills are short and the sand does not grip as well. for exsample i have a fully built stockbore raptor making almost 80hp(on racers edge dyno) and i run 9paddle 22x11x8 triple buff hauler at glamis.in oregon i would run like 12paddle haulers. btw i have a +6 inch swinger.i also have a 700 with the big 3 + ingition and i run a 7pdl 22x11x8 triple buff and they work well but u wil need a little bit more paddle than that. i dont know if this means anything but i have a pretty much brand new set of sand stars (pretty much the best molded v-cup ojut there) and they never get put on my quad. that is how much better the haulers are imo and im a duner not a drag racers so dont let ppl fool u that haulers r for only drag racing.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Easy E

I've been running the 10 paddle AMS Sidewinder with a similar built 03 DS650 - they hook up great and if you like to slide the rear end, they still handle very well.</end quote></div>

have u tried to run skat trak haulers? those ams tires are heavy as shiat. i bet u would gain quite a few lenghs up your hill with them.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Trailblazer

It's actually pretty hard to "loop" a DS650 with a 270 lb rider. I was never able to get the front end up much with the stock engine. I don't know if that will change much with the new one or if I'll just spin the tires a lot more.

A Raptor will bring the front up 10 times more easy than my DS.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

u are going to be looking at much more power to deal with. its going to be trial and error for most things. imo that front end is going to be seeing the sky. we will have to meet up and race sometime. also go over to nomercyracing.com quite a few ds650 drag guys there, they will give u some good info.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:08 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: bigned1904

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Easy E

I've been running the 10 paddle AMS Sidewinder with a similar built 03 DS650 - they hook up great and if you like to slide the rear end, they still handle very well.</end quote></div>

have u tried to run skat trak haulers? those ams tires are heavy as shiat. i bet u would gain quite a few lenghs up your hill with them.</end quote></div>

My DS actually had 8 paddle Haulers when I bought it. Good tires, but no loss felt in drag racing speed with the Sidewinders VS Haulers. For my style/type of riding, I enjoy the v-paddles best.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

The kind of tire will change according to what kind of riding you want to do. If it's mostly duning then you'll want and 8 or 9 paddle Skat Trak Hauler/Extreme/ or Edge. Any of these 3 would be really nice for your build. If you dune hard and like to whip the rear end around the Edges are the best. If mostly hill shooting just stick with the 9 or 10 paddles Haulers or Extremes in triple buff. That's about your best shot. In all of these tire options you need to go with 22" tires(no less). Good luck! If you need to know more just ask.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: SilverBomb

The kind of tire will change according to what kind of riding you want to do. If it's mostly duning then you'll want and 8 or 9 paddle Skat Trak Hauler/Extreme/ or Edge. Any of these 3 would be really nice for your build. If you dune hard and like to whip the rear end around the Edges are the best. If mostly hill shooting just stick with the 9 or 10 paddles Haulers or Extremes in triple buff. That's about your best shot. In all of these tire options you need to go with 22" tires(no less). Good luck! If you need to know more just ask.</end quote></div>

Well put.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Trailblazer

I guess the main thing I'm wondering is how important it is that I replace the Maxxis Roosters. I have never seen anyone else with them so I assume they aren't that great. If they were they would be popular like the Skat Trak and Sand Shark.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: donaldl43

I guess the main thing I'm wondering is how important it is that I replace the Maxxis Roosters. I have never seen anyone else with them so I assume they aren't that great. If they were they would be popular like the Skat Trak and Sand Shark.</end quote></div>

I'm guessing your maxxis paddles are 20" tires. Way to small for a DS let alone a built DS. You will see what I mean when you replace them with some 22" Skats. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I used to run 20" 8 paddles extremes but made the switch to 22" 7 paddle haulers and the difference was night and day. The 20's just spin and dig holes. 22"s float which is a big factor in sand.

Quick Reply: What paddles for built DS650?