CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

2005 650 DS It will not start on it's own, you have to pull start?

Old 03-14-2009, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 650 DS It will not start on it's own, you have to pull start?

The starter works good, I have completely cleaned the carb 3 times today, The battery is only a couple of months old. I have all of Old Man Racing's carb mods, when I done the carb mod the bike started and ran like it was suposed to. I have a pro comp cdi, K & N air filter, modified tip on factory muffler. Both the fuses are good, I cleaned the battery post, and cables. I have tried everthing I can think of, what am I forgetting, or over looking? After pull started, It runs like normal, It even starts like normal the rest of the day. Any help would be great. thanks for taking the time..

Old 03-14-2009, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

I think possibly your battery might be a little low. Some CDI boxes take a really good charge to start up your machine. Hook it to a charger overnight and see if that takes care of it.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

I'll assume the engine is turning over properly when you push the starter button.. Do a compression test. Also, Try putting a little gas in the plug hole, it will probably fire right up..

Old 03-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

i always get a kick when someone says "pull start", i hope you mean pop start lol. But you didnt mention changing your spark plugs. and when was the last time you had your valves adjusted? can lead to hard starts. and make sure your throttle cable is routed good, i had mine one time to tight and it kept it from closing in the carb all the way so it wouldnt start for me and that fouled the plugs.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Range Rover

mine used to be hard to start for the first time, and would start right up after that and run fine. i found that one of my intake valves was leaking a little , did a valve job and it has ran fine since. do a comp test note if it leak's down fast. then after you start , and warm it up . do another test if it holds comp after warmed up. valve prob, if not rings are wore. also when cold pull the plug and drop a little oil in . comp test if high your rings are shot. befor tearing into it try adjusting the float level. (and when running adjust the air screw for the temp).
in case you nocked it off a bit. it is hard to distinguish between valve seal and ring seal. so if you pull the head i would do both. also check/replace timing chain.
when you pull the head pour some liquid in the intake/exhaust ports and see if any leaks past into the chamber side. if so do a valve job . hope this helps

Old 03-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

The plugs that are in the motor now is one of 3 sets that I have tried, Yes the motor is turning over properly, as far as I can tell. As far as the valves go I haven't ever been into the motor, so I will try the compression test, and post any results and we can go from there. I don't have a tester at the moment so I will have to borrow one tomorrow. As far as a voltage issue I have tried to start the bike with the battery charger on the 50 amp setting, it didn't seem to make any difference, but maybe 50 amps is not enough. While I'm thinking about it I also tried the factory cdi. The only thing I haven't tried is to look at the stator and the rectifer. I do thank every one for the replies I will post tomorrow evening what I have come up with on the compression test. thanks again

Old 03-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

after you pull crank it does it start easy with the push button if so its ur valves i had one along time ago did the same thing ,i adjusted the valves and she started right up

Old 03-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

ohh 50 amps is more than enough lol, im sure she was winding pretty fast with it on that setting! done that before [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Range Rover

I believe it is the valves as well

Old 03-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

You could try adjusting them first.

http://www.ljsoftware.com/DS/Valves.htm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 650 DS It will not start on it's own, you have to pull start?