CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Just got an '01 650- what did I get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got an '01 650- what did I get?

I'm not familiar with the Bomb's at all. I just got an '01 DS650 while doing some trading. It seems to run strong. I have a KFX700 also. I have riden the 650 just a couple of quick runs down the street. It seems like it will out run my KFX700 in acceleration. Any experiences with that? Whats the top speed on these things? Its bone stock, I have a K&N air filter and HMF slip on on the way. Will that help much? Also what carbs are on these things, I need to see if I have the right jets.

Thanks!

Old 05-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Someone wants to rate this thread terrible, and not post anything as to why? Wow, I'm just trying to learn some things about this DS650 and hopefully enjoy the quad. I've been riding quads for more years than I can remember, owned probably 20, member of several quad forums. This is obviously not the place to learn anything about a quad if this line of questions offends someone enough to rate it terrible and not say anything.

Maybe this person is rating the quad terrible...

Administrator, please delete this thread and delete me from your member list.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Not sure why they would rate as terrible. Very nice quad. Some of the members here have built some outstanding racers out of their 650's. Give em a chance, and I'll bet they'll be giving you all kinds of ideas you can do to yours.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone probably did that because your questions are real easy to find out using the search and have been covered over and over.

The K & N will not gain anything per Mr. HP testing, but you can clean it and reuse it so its a money saver..

The HMF is considered a decent pipe for the money.

Search carb mods and there is some great info there on modding the stock carb for some decent gains.

Be a little patient, you just started this thread yesterday. Do not look at your ratings if they worry you that much, I don't.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Huh? What? I've been on this forum for some years and have never heard about rating a thread. How do you do that and where are the results that you show concern about? Just curious as I've never heard of such a thing.

You've got a great bike, and yes, it will eat your KFX for breakfast. The DS is an awesome platform for many upgrades. I personally don't care for the HMF pipe on the DS. The Big Gun and the Yoshi are much better in my opinion. Research the OMR stock carb mods and get them applied. You will notice huge gains over stock.

If you're testy enough to get upset that folks don't reply over the weekend while they are probably out riding then maybe the Yamaha forum is your better option. There is tons of very time tested and true information available on this site and we are more than glad to help out, but attitude gets you nowhere. Welcome aboard, and be patient. Most of us are older wiser and gainfully employed members of society and don't lurk on the internet all weekend.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by aceisback
Huh? What? I've been on this forum for some years and have never heard about rating a thread. How do you do that and where are the results that you show concern about? Just curious as I've never heard of such a thing.

You've got a great bike, and yes, it will eat your KFX for breakfast. The DS is an awesome platform for many upgrades. I personally don't care for the HMF pipe on the DS. The Big Gun and the Yoshi are much better in my opinion. Research the OMR stock carb mods and get them applied. You will notice huge gains over stock.

If you're testy enough to get upset that folks don't reply over the weekend while they are probably out riding then maybe the Yamaha forum is your better option. There is tons of very time tested and true information available on this site and we are more than glad to help out, but attitude gets you nowhere. Welcome aboard, and be patient. Most of us are older wiser and gainfully employed members of society and don't lurk on the internet all weekend.

Well Put... I didn't know we could rate threads, either.. BTW, I could have sold My Pro circuit T-4 pipe for !/2 of what the HMF cost... My neighbors don't like it.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider
THEBOM Racing. If it don't scare you a little, it's not going fast enough !!!

With the DS ,the sky's the limit!!!!

You just need to know who to talk to.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by THEBOM
With the DS ,the sky's the limit!!!!

You just need to know who to talk to.
Thats correct!