CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

2016 1000 XMR - broken frame - 2 of 4 machines

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 10:38 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 1000 XMR - broken frame - 2 of 4 machines

Check your lower frame rails.

Photos attached are from a 2016 XMR 1000. One photo shows right side, other the left.

Noticed a banging sound when riding over bumps. Found the frame completely broken in 2 spots just in front of the swingarm.

Contacted 3 other friends with XMR's.
One with a 2014 had a broken frame in the exact same location.

Dropped it off at the dealer - they couldn't believe it. Contacted BRP and sent photos. Received an email back stating the warranty was up in May so, they will not cover it.
Needless to say, I am a bit disappointed that they would not cover such a defect. With 2 machines with the same failure, I would categorize it as a defect.

The machines have never been wrecked. Just normal trail / mud riding.
I could understand if these were abused. This is far from the case.
Normal trail riding should not result in a broken frame.....on 2 machines!

Seems like a week spot in the design.

BE SAFE - CHECK YOUR FRAME

Attached Thumbnails 2016 1000 XMR - broken frame - 2 of 4 machines-img_05061.jpg   2016 1000 XMR - broken frame - 2 of 4 machines-img_05091.jpg  
Old 02-27-2017, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

easy fix...if you can weld...weld the rails back on, grind down the weld, then weld in a 1/4 inch rectangle support plate...then paint (everyone forgets to touch up welds!!!)...that's what I would do...

Old 02-27-2017, 01:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The point is, the frame ISN'T supposed to break. This is a one year old machine, not a rusted out 20 year old pile of crap. Even then, unless you wreck it, it shouldnt break. I had a friend wreck a Grizzly 660 on pavement at 55 mph and the frame didn't break. It was bent of course, but no broken welds. I thought Can-am had fixed the weak frame problems. Apparently on the XMR models, that is not the case. I'm sure it can be easily fixed as DirtDevil said if you know how to weld but the point is its a failure that shouldn't happen, especially on basically a brand new machine. Unfortunately even if it had been still under warranty, they most likely wouldn't fix it either. They would claim abuse and say it was your fault.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

I hear ya...to be honest it looks like it was spot welded or something as I think I see paint where the full weld should have been. Is it still under warranty...even if not I'd submit those pics to the manufacturer and ask that they remedy this serious defect...the pics clearly show it was not welded correctly...

Old 02-27-2017, 07:01 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by DirtDevil101
I hear ya...to be honest it looks like it was spot welded or something as I think I see paint where the full weld should have been. Is it still under warranty...even if not I'd submit those pics to the manufacturer and ask that they remedy this serious defect...the pics clearly show it was not welded correctly...

Machine was purchased new in October 2015. Current mileage close to 1600 miles - normal trail riding.
As original post states, photos sent to CanAm. They responded that it was out of warranty, have a nice day.

I could understand if the machine went rolling down a hill or slammed a tree. Bottom line, a frame on a $15K machine should not break under trail riding conditions.
Attached is a photo of the frame on my friend's 2014 XMR. It is broken approx 1.5 inches in front of my break. Since he bought his used at a dealer and being a 2014, he did not bring it to the dealer - welded it with added reinforcement on Sunday.
The 2016 broke at both welds at the swingarm bracket. The driveshaft is the only thing holding the lower frame together.

With the 2016, I would have thought that BRP would stand behind such a failure of a frame on a product they market as "The ultimate factory-ready mud machine."It is still at the dealer. Maybe they can go to bat with BRP and get results.
3 of us bought new 2016 XMR's about a month apart. The other two 2016's have about half the mileage and frames are still in one piece.

I would just urge anyone with an XMR (or any other Outy) to check your frame. Who cares about the ride - it could save yourself physical damage.

Attached Thumbnails 2016 1000 XMR - broken frame - 2 of 4 machines-resized951.jpg  
Old 02-28-2017, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider

The last pick is a structural break...I wouldn't even bother fixing it as the entire length may be compromised and should be replaced...

So the harsh reality is that many of the companies are getting cheap...the 30y/o Japanese quad's frame in my avatar has been abused forever and doesn't even show any weld fatigue...I know as I stripped it down for powder coating...those welds are awesome and the materials top notch...

Old 02-28-2017, 12:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm no expert on welding but that last pic looked bad. You're probably lucky the frame didn't literally break in half. I would like to think this was just a poorly welded machine or perhaps used defective metal to make the frame. The speeds that many of these machines are capable of, a frame failure could result in very bad injuries if it happens at speed. Heck, even at 25-30 mph, if you get thrown off your machine on hard pack or pavement, you're probably going to break something. At double that speed or more as a 1000XMR is capable of, its scary to think of what might happen.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:40 PM
Trailblazer

The last pic was the 2014 XMR.
It was a failure of the frame rail itself. Only one side. It was boxed out with angle stock and flat stock. Basically the entire length of the lower frame for added strength. He boxed out the unbroken side as well. If one side failed - most likely only a matter of time before both fail.

The 2016 failure was clearly the welds. Both sides.

I am not posting to bad mouth CanAm / BRP (although I am quite disappointed in the lack of support).

People need to know that this can happen under trail riding conditions.

Should a frame snap while moving at speed on a trail - you could easily be seriously injured if not worse.

It is good practice for all of us to inspect frames, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. Nothing good will happen if you go head first into a tree.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for posting. If you haven't posted on the Can Am forums yet, you should. Might save someone from injury or death!

Old 03-06-2017, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

Would having an aluminum skid plate have helped stiffen it up and minimize this?