CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

2004 ds650 wont start unless the throttle is open

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 03:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 ds650 wont start unless the throttle is open

i wrecked my ds650 a while back and it still ran after the wreck but i started it to let it run after i fixed it cosmetically and it sat and warmed up and idled fine but then it died and hasnt started since. It will run if i give it gas when i start it but as soon as i let off it dies. It has new plugs, new carb, new battery. It also runs very hot when i do give it gas. could it be something electrical or do i have an issue within the motor? Anything helps.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mentioned new carb - is it factory, rebuild, eBay bsr42 knockoff? Sounds like the engine is running way too lean, either starved of fuel or air leak in the intake piping. When the engine is running does it cough or pop?

My first advise would be to start at the intake piping. Check intake piping for air leaks. Remove the silicone carb boot (pipe between the carb and engine) and inspect for cracks. Then make sure the carb boot clamps are screwing in good and tight, sometimes these strip out over time and won't tighten enough. Critical to not have an air leak here... If all is tight, and still not running good, then move on to the carb. Remove the bowl, check jet sizes, clean pilot circuit, and make sure the pilot/mixture screw setting is correct.

If it's a new carb from a random ebayer selling hundreds of knockoff bsr42 carbs, id go straight to checking jet sizes.