CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Not sure what to buy!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 10:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure what to buy!?

Hey guys, I have been recently looking at quad's to buy and I want a step up from my junky old Polaris 330. I am looking at an 07 can am 500 outty and 650 outty from the same year and an 05 honda rincon 650. Please don't play favorites, I need to know what ATV or even brand alone puts out the best performance in all the categories overall,
Thanks!

Old 06-24-2016, 08:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Polaris, the way out. ..

Old 06-24-2016, 09:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Obviously the Outlander 650 has the most power. If performance is what you're after, that's the one to get. The Outlander 500 still has more power than the Honda. The Rincon could have been a much better quad if they had given it a different transmission. The automotive style 3 speed sounds good in theory but it needs more speeds to be a good atv transmission. It would have been better to have put the 5 speed from the Foreman in it. I assume the Honda costs much less though as it is older and the used Can Ams tend to cost more. I guess the better question is, how much do you want to spend? There are others to choose from as well such as a Grizzly 700 or Brute Force which would be good choices.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Just about every part on a Can-am will cost more than the Honda for sure. Part of that problem is due to their marketing of parts to dealers. Who have to buy a bunch of little parts to get one. So if you walk in and need a couple washers or something really mundain, the dealer probably has to by 12 and put the rest in stock. A higher cost for him to have sitting a few years before someone else needs one or two. Service labor is a defined cost, but the way the Can-ams are engineered, you have to half disassemble the machine to get to the important stuff. More cost. Besides, the years you are taking about are old tech compared to the new stuff. Honda hasn't changed all that much over the years.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by trailman04
Polaris, the way out. ..
I have been looking at the sportsman 800 but it seems to be treated as a lower class than can am (more obvious than not) and most other models. I found good prices fore a couple sportsman's but I am not sure If I will be getting a good quality machine.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Condition means more than anything. I considered buying a Sportsman 800 myself both before I bought my Grizzly and when I recently got my Brute Force. How well a machine was cared for and maintained is more important that if is a Can Am, Polaris, Yamaha etc.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes,
I was looking at some well maintained 07 can ams and they are all very expensive even for their year. Even when I look back to 04 they are still amazingly high priced. I feel like most grizzlys and brute forces are okay but still somehow not close to can am. There are plenty of cheaper brands like artic cat and even Polaris but I feel like if I get an outty 650 even a Polaris 800 sportsman can't keep up. Maybe or most likely the 850 due to its high output but I am still not sure.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

I certainly agree with that Greg. Condition is a big thing, but sometimes you can't really tell by looking at a unit.

As for Mudder00's comment on used the Can-Am still being pricey, I think two things are important to remember. First, they cost more. So a 2 year old can-am is going to be more than a Honda, Yamaha, Polaris etc. But you have to figure in the resale value as well. In most cases in life, the market determines the resale value. And I think you are seeing part of this with the resale of the Can-Am. There is usually a reason one brand keeps it's value better than others. Look at Subaru. They have the highest resale of any manufacturer. Why? Because they are well built and do what they say they can do. Safely. (no I don't own one)

Old 07-26-2016, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

Just wondering if you made a decision yet.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:41 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The current 680 Rincon only puts out 38hp , what did the 650 put out? A 3 speed with no low range, it is a silly tranny. Here is a good video review on the 650 Rincon. at 5:10 in the vid they explain the tranny.
I kid you not they call the tranny "Silly" at the end.

Quick Reply: Not sure what to buy!?