CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 Clicking

Old 11-15-2016, 06:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS650 Clicking

I recently picked up a extremely clean 2000 ds650 on a trade for some items. It was not running when I got it. When I brought it home I noticed it had a cracked starter so I replaced it along with the one way sprag. Bought a new battery and hooked it up and just clicks by the solenoid. Thinking that was the problem I got a new one and put it with same result. I tightened all the grounds/wires and noticed it was a cluster so I ripped all the wiring out and bought an untouched harness and installed. With new harness in it does the exact same thing. Just clicking. I bought a new starter solenoid and same thing. Even tried a known battery from my 700. I also notice with the clutch pulled it only clicks one time. When i release the clutch it does multiple smaller clicks but no change. Could the cdi be shot or is there any way to check. Thanks

Old 11-18-2016, 07:10 AM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am thinking your issue is the couple of spacers on the little gears that connect the starter to the spraug clutch. I have made this mistake myself. To check it quickly, just loosen the side cover - where the spraug is, loosen all the bolts a turn or two and try to turn it over. if it turns over you know that's the issue. I have attached a pic of where those spacers and washers should go.

Attached Thumbnails DS650 Clicking-ds650-spraug.jpg