ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   CAN-AM (BRP) (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/)
-   -   Tell me about Can Am frames (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/372445-tell-me-about-can-am-frames.html)

maybehonda 06-15-2017 10:59 PM

Tell me about Can Am frames

Thinking of a can am 570 2017.

I hear many guys complain about weak frames. I know the older frames were a issue. How about the newer ones?

This ATV will be used to tow lots of weight. 1000lbs of wood in tub trailer, drag moose out of the bush, 300lbs sled through snow etc.. The most weight on the hitch would be a 17ft lund rebel with a heavy 50hp 4stroke. I use the ATV to drag the boat into small lakes.

My worry is that much weight on the hitch might bend or snap the frame.

I'm not interested in changing my load set up like moving axles for a different balance.

Can anyone speak to the new can am's frames? From video's they don't look the beefiest. The metal seems thin.

switzomatic 06-16-2017 02:30 AM

Haven't seen the issues with the newer ones like they had up to around 2010 or so. Zero issues so far with my wife's 650 XMR.

maybehonda 06-16-2017 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by switzomatic (Post 3365119)
Haven't seen the issues with the newer ones like they had up to around 2010 or so. Zero issues so far with my wife's 650 XMR.

Are the built the same as the old or ?

MooseHenden 06-16-2017 11:39 AM

The Generation 2 frames are doing much better. Have only seen one issue raised here by one rider since they changed over to a newer design in 2012-2013. I have the first Generation and installed a brace inside the old style frame to strengthen it. Any of the Can-Ams 2013 and after have the newer, stronger frame.

MooseHenden 06-16-2017 11:40 AM

PS I have pulled our boat with a 25 hp Evinrude, an ATV cart with at least 800 lbs. in it, and more with the Outlander and have never had a problem.

maybehonda 06-16-2017 05:19 PM

thanks for the reply!

How did the Can am handle pulling the boat with the clutching it has? I'm kind of worried that because they are clutched for throttle response and speed that the belt will engage at too low of a RPM and burn the belt.

greg74 06-17-2017 07:43 AM

The older frames did have issues. I had a friend who had I believe a 2008 Renegade 800 and bent the frame from a relatively mild collision. He is a pretty capable welder and straigtened and fixed it himself. Maybe not exactly to factory specss but pretty close. He traded it in for a Kawasaki Teryx not long after that. He was one of those people that constantly kept stockpiling debt so he could always have new stuff.

MooseHenden 06-17-2017 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by maybehonda (Post 3365197)
thanks for the reply!

How did the Can am handle pulling the boat with the clutching it has? I'm kind of worried that because they are clutched for throttle response and speed that the belt will engage at too low of a RPM and burn the belt.

No problem even in high gear with the boat. But I usually still use low.

Towing the cart with fresh cut hardwoods up in VT and NH I used low gear for at least the engine braking. The engagement on the Can-Ams is pretty close to when you start giving it gas. This saves the belt as there is no in-between time from disengaged to engaged. Kind of like people who ride the clutch in their standard cars. They burn out fast if you don't get your foot off the clutch. Running in low is, by far, the best way to save the belt. Since it's running at higher RPMs the fins on the clutch pulleys move faster and circulate air more. More cooling. The worst thing you can do for a belt is run it in high range when going slow, through deep mud or snow, over or up slow technical trails and rocks, or towing. That's what will burn out the belt.

Jeep3 08-11-2017 07:37 PM

The frames on our Can-Am's we've had over the years have been good. We've owned three Renegades and three Outlanders in the last 12 years, and no frame problems with any of them. I did manage to bend the frame on a Yamaha Grizzly once though.