CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

2016 Can Am Outlander Breaks

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2016 Can Am Outlander Breaks

I purchased a new 2016 Can Am Outlander Max DPS back in February. Power is amazing, power steering is great and ride is comfortable. However, it seems the brakes are soft. I only have 28 hours on it mostly trail/mud riding, deer lease and farm use. About a month ago, the brakes started squeaking until they warmed up. Last Friday, I got on it and the front break level would pull all the way without the brakes working. I had to use the foot brake to stop. I'm about to take it in for it's first check up. I did purchase a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty and I fully understand that moving parts like brake pads are not necessarily covered, but this seems way too early to have brakes fail. My 2009 KQ750 never had a brake job done and it have 1500 miles on it when I sold it. All the other quads other than the Honda's that I've owned have never had brake problems.

1. Is this typical for the brakes to fail this soon on a Can Am?

2. Also, the quad squeaks a lot. Is this typical of Can Am Outlanders?

Old 08-08-2017, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious if you "burnished" your brake pads? My Arctic Cat owner's manuals all say, when pads are new, accelerate to 30 mph and decelerate to 0-5 mph and repeat 20 times. It's a real PITA, but my Cats stop on a dime, ok, maybe a quarter, hehe. Of course, pick a safe place to do the pad burnishing! I think you can do it even after they have some miles on em.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I've heard from quite a few owners of the new G2 framed Can-Ams that the brakes are on the soft side. I can't remember who they recommended. Possibly Kimpex. Not sure if the name is right or not. Wish I could have been more helpful.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:05 AM
Pro Rider

Switch to a set of harder aftermarket pads. OEM are too soft and wear fast. If you do a lot of mud riding switch to the mud rat rotors. No cross-drilling in them so mud/gunk doesn't get caught in there and cause premature wear.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks! I don't do a lot of mud ridding, but I do ride in places that has mud. I just don't mud bog like some. Most of my riding is trail riding, farm work, deer lease riding and some mud riding, but nothing deeper than the center of the tires typically.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:29 PM
Trailblazer

I would not think brakes wearing out before your first service is normal. We own three Can-Am's right now, and they all still have the original brakes. The oldest is my wife's 2012 Renegade 1000 XXC, which has been rode hard and put up wet for six years now. It needed a computer flash for the power steering when it was two months old, but has been trouble free since. The other two Can-Am's have been entirely trouble free.

If that front brake lever is pulling all the way in without stopping the ATV, it sounds like you have air in the system.

Your ATV is still under warranty. Make them fix it.